Gear stick rattle at high revs

CrashBangWallop

After my trip to Biggleswade my gearstick seems to have developed a rattle.  It stops when I push down on it.

A friend said it's probably the collar.  

Please.

What is it? & How do I stop it?

Thankyou.

Neil :D

Mine does exactly the same. MT75 gearbox on a Zetec.

Andy

What's this?

"A problem shared is a problem halved", or something? :)

It's annoying. It's drowning out the sound of my squeeky shox ;)   They're much more soothing.

More a reminder to myself to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone suggests a remedy ;)

There was a similar thread for Type 9's a month or two back, but no MT75 experts piped up when I asked in there ;)

What type of gearbox is yours?

Andy

I've been informed it's a Type 9 attached to a CVH.  I got a suggestion of, "pump the collar full of Araldite" which sounded a bit harsh  ???

I'll go and type some random words into the Search engine.

Thx, Andy.

Neil

:arse:

Another thread hijack attempt failed ;)

Anyone got any ideas about a similar MT75 rattle?

Try this thread Neil.

Andy

Alright Andy,

I'll pinch a bit of your thread, and 'doctor' it :0

So what do I ask for when I go to Fords?

'The little bit of plastic the gear lever sits in for a Type 9 gearbox please'?

I bought my car to learn a bit about them.  What kind of tools do I need?

On a scale of Very Easy * to Very Difficult *****, where is it?

Thx.

Neil

Easy.

Put car in neutral.

Remove the gearstick by undoing the 3 bolts that hold it in (you'll need a 13mm socket, or maybe an 8mm allen key......)

Remove lever.

Peer down hole.

You'll see a palstic "saddle type affar, where the forks of the lever sit, probably covered in cack. Grab it with a par of long nose pliers, and it'll lift out. It's clipped in, so it'll need a firm tug.......

Clip a new one in.

Re-fit stick.

Job done.

To show myself up as a REAL DIVVY. :durr:

The carpet in the car travelling down the central drive shaft is glued.  The glue seems very low tactile stuff.  Once I rip the thing off, I take it a good can of spray-on glue will do the trick of getting it stuck back?  ???

My type 9 has developed an annoying zizzzzzzing rattle in mid range.

It wasnt there until a week or two ago.... :angry:

If I hold gear lever to one side it disappears (too much effort) also when on part throttle I can hear a resonating noise so i assume my mighty powerful Vx has f**ked the box  :0

Changes gear ok but vibration is harsh (b*****k)

Comments/experience please  :love:  :love:

Carpets..........I don't have any, so no problems there for me. Stick 'em back on with whatever you feel would be best for the way you use your car....or dump 'em.......

Hilux.

I'd be checking the lever saddle thingy before you buy a new box.....I rag my 180bhp Vx with a type 9 quite a lot (like 15000+ miles in the last 3 years, plus 2 track days, and three double driven sprints), and the 'box is as quiet now as it was when I bought the car........

I'd be checking the lever saddle thingy before you buy a new box

Blatters...it is a harsh vibration throughout the box IMHO

Are you saying that `wear` in the plastic/nylon saddle is allowing movement ie: vibration. (you can probably hear it outside the car at slow speeds)

I can always beat the synchro if changing gear quickly but put that down to a bit of wear etc

I assume that a Ford dealer cannot supply this as its an extension, see below

Gearbox%20refurbished%20(small%20file%20size).JPG :(

Westfield supply ? ???:durr:

Help please cos Ive got my first track day in 5 weeks and I dont want a gearbox f*****g it up  :0

Are you saying that `wear` in the plastic/nylon saddle is allowing movement ie: vibration. (you can probably hear it outside the car at slow speeds)

Spot on..........

I assume that a Ford dealer cannot supply this as its an extension, see below

You assume incorrectly...........

Speak to R&R transmissions, or SPC. They'll be able to help.

You take it out of the box when you put the extension on, and clip it in to the extension, IIRC.......or you may need two (one for the box as well...) when you fit the extension. I can't remember, and I only fitted my extension last week.....  :blush:  

Beating the synchros is easy......and bad for them........

The rattle from my lever is louder than the rest of the car at 50mph......especially as you're sat next to it.......

Unless the rattle can be felt through the hole car (and I mean felt, not just heard) then you *may* have a more serious problem, or a wheel out of balance. If it's definitely a vibration throughout the whole car, then expect to be taking the gearbox out, assuming it isn't something simple......

Not wishing to worry anybody but.....

I had a reallllly bad vibration which I could feel through the gear knob the knob went blurry at speed it was that bad

Anyway back to the story it turned out to be the bearings in the propshaft had worn out so you could try wiggling the prop shaft to make sure it isn't knackered

I suspect your main problem is the plastic saddle thing though as suggested.

I'm almost positive I only have a plastic saddle thing on the gearbox end of the extension

Whereas I'm totally positive that there is one in the extension.......I was looking at it this morning......

If there isn't one in the extension then the lever must be really loose........