Looking to buy; advice needed

alextangent

I've been to see today a nice example advertised at here; the car's basically as described, possibly with small oil leak between head/block, runs a little rough on idle. No wet weather gear (and no pops for it either) so would need to fit, think around £250 or thereabouts.

Any opinions on asking price (which I think might be negotiable down to around £8800?). Never bought something like this before; drove Subarus until the prices dropped and every spotty youth started adding dustbins to the exhausts.

Thanks...

Westy has some weather gear for sale at the moment in the for sale section a bit cheaper than mention :)

I'm in the same boat as you in that I haven't got one (yet) so don't know about price. I suppose in the end it boils down to how much you want to pay. If you think the car is worth whatever deal you strike, you should be happy. Unfortunately there is no sort of book price (I imagine) due to the type of cars they are and the individuality of each one.

I suppose you could look at a basic model, figure in the modifications to buy yourself, and ask yourself if you think it's worth it.

The one I should be looking at is more than I originally wanted to spend, but has pretty much everything done to it that I would want to do (for the time being).

FWIW, I think the asking price is about right. It's about 700 quid more than I paid for mine, but it has things that mine hasn't (LSD, baffled sump, different brakes etc.).

Mine had full wet weather gear, but I've never used the hood (and probably never will). The tonneau is kept in the boot however.

Oh, and live without side screens too :)

Andy

Car is a good spec at a reasonable price, if you can haggle an extra few hundred off you'll get a bargain.

FWIW, I've owned mine for 3 yrs without a hood or tonneau cover, i've also just ditched the sidescreens and replaced them with perspex wind deflectors, covered over 500 miles last weekend on the coast to coast withut problems, sidescreens for sale soon.

One thing you must do of course is join the club.   the bi-monthly magazine is excellent, and of course there are loads of things going on too.

Hope you get what you're looking for.

Neil

:D  :D

Sounds a good spec  ;)  :D  :D  Methinks - Just needs a test drive and mechanical check  :D  :D  ;)  :D  and check up the members ads for weather gear for sale.

£250 might not quite be enough for a new set - check the factory website for a price guide on new stuff  ;)  :D

Depending on how you plan on using the car, I'd seriously think about whether you really need weather gear. Personally, I doubt I'd be able to get in and out of mine with the roof on!

A tonneau is worth having to prevent puddles forming in the seats when it's parked (see here :D). Personally, that's the only bit of my weather gear that gets used.

Andy

Just checked out the ad and it sounded like a car for sale on e-bay at the mo, it isn't but it does have, blue body/yellow cycle wings and yellow removable rear arches. If you want to see what that looks like then click here  :0

Whoops, just noticed you've seen it, Dr Detail strikes again  :durr:

Can't see tonneau prices on Westfield's website, will call Monday to check. Does tonneau require fasteners? Or is it loose fitting?

What kind of mechanical check would you advise? Not RAC, surely... ;-) Slightly concerned about the leak, it's well above sump and below rocker cover level. Could be breather; it was pointing downhill a little.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

From the parts catalogue (10/02) the price for a tonneau is £220.  The full hood with sidescreens is £415.

I have to agree with everybody else that full weather gear can be a bit OTT a lot of the time.  I only have a tonneau and side screens and have only occasionally used the side screens.

Can't see tonneau prices on Westfield's website, will call Monday to check. Does tonneau require fasteners? Or is it loose fitting?

The tonneau attaches with press-studs on my car. I presume they're all the same.

Andy