Pre SVA procedures.....

Quick_Learner

The car (SEi, VX, Carbs with Omex) is nearing completion to the stage where im loking at setup of the suspension before i can put the carpets on ...... but whats next.

Doesnt a professional garage need to set up the lights, camber, tracking, emissions, noise, ECU mapping etc etc before i even attempt to put it through the SVA?

Or do i have it MOT'd before SVA which might resolve a few of these problems?

Or do i cross fingers and think of england?  ???  ???

I had mine MoTd before SVA, and had the emissions, lights etc set up there.   If you need it mapping, that's a bit beyond the average garage.

As far as suspension set up is concerned, providing the car feels OK to drive, and you take it steady when you drive to the test centre, you needn't get it done before SVA.   Just make sure everything is tight, and you'll be OK.

Had mine rolling road tuned prior to SVA to set up carbs and map ecu, set up tracking and camber etc roughly from details in build manual, with intention of professional set up later on.

In the event the SVA tester failed it on steering not self centering properly so I had to have geometery set up properly for the re-test anyway.

Rich.

Just my opinion but if you glue all of your plastic nut covers etc on your steering parts etc on front end, SVA it and then get geometry set up you will be pulling off glue`d caps etc to re do it!

:durr:

Just my opinion but if you glue all of your plastic nut covers etc on your steering parts etc on front end, SVA it and then get geometry set up you will be pulling off glue`d caps etc to re do it!

:durr:

If you follow the manual and do what it says about counting exposed threads etc it should be in the ball park, if it self centres that's all the SVA people have to check so if that's ok you can then drive it somewhere decent and get it set up properly, somewhere like Playskool.

I didn't glue any nut covers for SVA they are firm enough as a push fit or should be except for the ones you have to cut to slip over and then I just used a bit of silicone sealant and black tape, no great problem to remove for a suspension set session.

I'd get an MOT station to check the emmisions if your concerned, if it's pre Aug 95 engine it's tested to 3.5% CO's and 1200ppm HC's at SVA and then future MOT's is a bit unclear at the moment as it was visible smoke test but I was advised at SVA it's now whatever it's tested at SVA although as I say this is a bit iffy depending on who you speak to.

Noise, take a chance if it's a Westfield exhaust it should be OK

:D

The gluing on bit has just been introduced.   All safety devices have to be "permanent"   I think it's all down to the interpretation of individual inspectors.   I'd glue em down, just to be sure.

My exhaust measured 99 db.   It was a standard Westfield item, and in my opinion, just a bit close for comfort.

Speak to the chap at the centre you are taking it to.

Nottingham agreed to do the lights and emissions during the test. (both 5 minute jobs)

Suspension was set up with string before hand to get it in the right ballpark.

I cannot recomend enough calling the centre and speaking to the tester before hand due to the big differance in centres (Nottingham great, Southampton not so.)

Carl

cheers guys - a great help

carl, where is the nottingham test centre?? as i'll be coming from melton mowbray.

Notts SVA (near M1 junction 26) - ask them to send you their map...

Nottingham GVTS

Main Road

Watnall

Nottingham

NG16 1JF

Tel: 0115 9382591

Had mine done at Nottingham by tester called Mark (I think) and they were fine. Took about 3 hours and they checked everything. Best to book early though - can be several months waiting - and always attend the original booking even if you know the car will fail (sounds daft, but it's much easier and quicker to get a retest, than rebook the whole thing).

Anyway good luck! :D

thanks all

- anyone around leicester / notts / melton know a good MOT tester thats kit-car friendly to setup carbs and possibly tinker with an OMEX if required too?

asking for too much here i can tell  :D  :D

another spanner in the works ........... fitting the willans 4 point harnesses, ive got to grips with using the inertia mount and one of the other beneath the boot box with a spacer, however, do i need to use eyelets on the mounts beneath the seats or will high strength bolts do the job for SVA? i didnt think they would otherwise id have been given 4 in my harness pack, wouldnt i?

thanks.

Have you not got 4 mounting points on the rail behind the seat?   I'd use them for the shoulder straps, and not the inertia turrets.

The waist belt can be fastened down with standard seat belt bolts.   No need for anything fancy there.

The crucial thing regarding all seat belts is the height above the seat base of the shoulder belts.   As long as the seat is floor mounted (not on runners) and you use the spacers provided, you will be fine.