6 sided sockets 13mm

gregh

Anyone know where I could buy a 13mm 6 sided hexagonal socket to remove my water temp sender? the 12 sided one I have has rounded the sender nut so I can't get it out.

Been to Halfords and 3 other motor shops in Leeds and they all just sell the 12 sided ones.

Anyone know where I can get one from, and should I avoid using these 12 sided ones in future?

regards,

Greg

Hi Greg

Halfords do sell 6 sided sockets in some stores (known as Halfords Professional I think).  If you know anyone in the garage game, get them to buy one from Snap-on.  I have both hex and by-hex sockets but always use the hex to stop the rounding off thing.

Kind regards

Bob

not in my halfords at leeds bob :( maybe I'll try Harrogate - a bit of a posher area!

I'm on 1/2" drive Paul :(

greg

that's the theory s8ight!! If I could

a) get the b*gger out

b) find a dry hour to drive the car

I'd know for sure!

Greg

Buy impact sockets for use with an air gun .  They are 6 sided.  O.K. to use these by hand but DO NOT use ordinary sockets in an air gun as they will shatter.  They are the ones that are black and you should get them at any good hardware store.

Metrinch sockets drive the flats of the nuts not the points.  I have had the 37 piece set for many years and they are superb.

RS components are UK distributors and sell sets and individual sockets.

Try here and search for metrinch

the 12 sided one I have has rounded the sender nut so I can't get it out.

Last resort......heat nut and use small plumbers wrench (grips tighter the more you try)

You`ll ruin the nut but then it sounds like you will need another one anyway.

Coppergrease applied to any nut/bolt/stud prevents all this.  ;)

Greg I'm 99% sure I've a full set of 6 siders, u have a PM with my mobi give me a call and I'll drop it into day

Buzz

cheers Buzz,

Sat in a hotel in Reading, hopefully some arriving in the post by the time I get back up north!

Greg

ARCO

cant find a link to the page its on.

product code; 3109700.

I got one of these about a year ago, it gets loads of stick and it still hasnt broken. single hex flank drive sockets. well worth £29.50 :D

Carl

Last resort......heat nut and use small plumbers wrench (grips tighter the more you try)

They're called Stillsons, available from any good engineers/plumbers merchants in different sizes, when applied properly stillsons never slip off the nut, really usefull addition to any toolkit  :t-up:

they're a bit bulky though, so you cant always get them on nuts in inaccesible places  ???

did job on a mini for a bloke years ago. temp sender was stuck, so he thought, he tried stillys on it. basically destroyed the head of the sender. (its all hollow dont forget and not that thick )

stick with a decent quality single hex socket