Westfield padded sports seats

gregh

I am going through the seat selection process right now.  I currently have a pair of padded race seats on order from Westfield, but on the advice of my girlfriend I am considering canceling it and instead buying the MOG carbon seats now available from Fluke.  I've sat in the Westfield race seats and found them surprisingly comfortable, but the reports of seat flex really concerns me from a safety standpoint.  Although very expensive, the MOGs have a great reputation for strength, weight, support and comfort, and I can easily have some upholstered seat padding made up if they prove too hard for longer journeys.  BTW my girlfriend's logic for the upgrade is pretty simple "You are going to keep the car forever and the price difference is only about $500.  That's not a lot of money spread over the life of the car."  Am I lucky or what? :love:

seats_02.jpg

-John

Seattle, USA

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peterg

• gregh

• juansolo

• chrisbin

Top Posters In This Topic

but not before infiltrating the Cornish Cateringvan connection and blowing Mr Seabrook's cover.........

oops....one coat may not be enough!  ;)

Bit slow today Stepps

he'll be having his afternoon nap, labrador at his feet, nice comfy cardigan on :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :D  :D

Best just grab a suitcase and flee the country I guess  :arse:  well at least I'll be in Shropshire by tomorrow  ;)  :cool:

ref the playskool ones, it appears Paul also does padded sleeves for his seats, so will have to try and sit in both and compare!

greg

my girlfriend's logic for the upgrade is pretty simple "You are going to keep the car forever and the price difference is only about $500.  That's not a lot of money spread over the life of the car

nice to see a girl appreciate the fineries of long term financial planning  ;)

only problem is ..... now you've GOT to keep the car forever so no chance for an upgrade to a Megabusa or the like  ???

johnch,

Have you sat in both? I'd love to know if the solid one in your piccie could be anywhere near as comfortable as the padded ones.

regards,

greg

the sofa looks comfortable enough   ;)   not sure about sitting on solid carbon fibre for long periods though - ever tried karting for more than 30 minutes? it's bl**** painful when you get out of their seats  ???

OK so now imagine those seats in your Westie (which admittedly has a bit more suspension travel) on the trip to Le Mans or around these wonderful smooth road of Great Britain - think you'll be able to walk around after a long drive?  ;)

tell me about karting Peter!! more bruises around the kidneys then I'd care to remember ;)

Greg

That's cos your seat was probably too big.

When we had our kart, we thought we'd need a larger seat because the original one was fairly 'snug'.

However, you soon realise when you clatter yourself round in it that the last thing you want is to be moving around in the seat. It's the movement that causes the bruises / pain.

Andy

fair enough re cart seat size, but how would you like to sit in one for many hours, that's the question, would a solid seat be as comfortable as a slightly padded one?

greg

fair enough re cart seat size, but how would you like to sit in one for many hours, that's the question, would a solid seat be as comfortable as a slightly padded one?

greg

probably depends how much natural padding you have.......

built for comfort, or speed....?????

Longest single stint I did in our kart was about an hour I think. At that point, it was my arms and hands that I was feeling, nothing else :).

This has drifted slightly from the seats though! I have to say I'm not sure I'd want to ditch the padded seats I have in mine at the moment. I wouldn't want the driving experience to become too uncomfortable...

Andy

of course they support you, Steve - your *ahem* less than svelte body is wedged between the gearbox tunnel and the door sill so you don't need the extra support the race seats give

Now that's not polite ....

Sitting in corner of pub, Steppenwolf enters....S***, my coat is near the door and he's blocking my way! - well actually he's blocking the sunlight as well    before he gets a chance to have a go I distract him with a casual mention of Zetec cooling systems    whilst he starts to explain the fine details of thermostatic induction I slide behind the table and make for the door grabbing my coat on the way .....  

I'll grab something in a minute ....

he'll be having his afternoon nap, labrador at his feet, nice comfy cardigan on  

Now look here mate, I don't own a cardigan ( said Steppenwolf stroking the dog )        

Best just grab a suitcase and flee the country I guess    well at least I'll be in Shropshire by tomorrow

There is nowhere in Shropshire for you to hide - my reach is further than my girth ....

I'd love to know if the solid one in your piccie could be anywhere near as comfortable as the padded ones.

They are, more so in my opinion.  They're *ahem* based on the Tillet that c******m fit and dispite lacking in any padding (on the Tillet the material glued to the seat is for anti-slip purposes) they are incredibly comfy and fine.  Drove to Cadwell, did 5 sessions and drove back all in one day and had no issues.  Ludicrously supportive and very comfy.  I prefer them to my brothers padded seats (then again I would...).

There is nowhere in Shropshire for you to hide - my reach is further than my girth ....

Ah but from there I can nip across the border into Wales.......no, hang on I don't want to do that, it's full of Welsh people   :sheep:

I'll get my sheepskin coat  :D  :sheep:  :D