• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

type 9

PETER

whitch gear oil is best for type 9 five speed's

semi syn, 80,or 90,

i wont to fill it so i can fit it this weekend !

:p

Make sure you bung something in to the output shaft, otherwise it'll empty itself faster than you can fill it.......

EP80 GL4.

DO NOT use a GL5 spec oil. It's too slippery for the synchro's.

Lots more stuff here...... :)

Hmm, gearboxes need oil do they? Where do you fill them? How do you know if they need filling?

*shakes head and walks away*

There's a plug (like a sump plug) which needs a big allen key (ideally an allen socket on the end of a breaker bar) to undo it.  You then get a funnel and a length of hose, poke it in the hole and pour oil into the gearbox until it starts to dribble out.  Then put the plug back in quickly.

Potential problems :

- no hole cut in the side of the gearbox tunnel to allow you to get at the plug....

- access is, errr, amusing....

- you *will* end up with gearbox oil on the garage floor, all over the cockpit, on your hands, up your arm, on your nose (well it was itchy !!;), on the cat, etc., etc.

So, best of luck....

FWIW, I used Red Line MTL in my Tran-X box although someone on Blatchat was bleating on about Honda MTF being cheaper and possibly better.  Should be available from your local Honda dealer.