• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

About to pick up new Westy

gadrego

After looking at a couple of Westfields last week, I finally took the plunge and have bought one.  Its Mike Carle's car if any of you know it.  Driving up to Glasgow shortly to pick it up.  I'll have to drive it the 160 miles or so back to Newcastle.  Think I'm throwing myself in at the deep end here especially as it has no hood or screen etc....  If anybody from Newcastle is on the list and ever wants to meet up for a chat or a quick blast, please get in touch.

Graham

*cough ahem*

at the risk of repeating myself - Don't forget to join the WSCC  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  ;)

Run by members for members  :D  :D

Don't worry Graham, it's dry at the moment up here!!!  Not sure for how long though.....I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

A pair of gloves and a waterproof jacket and you'll be fine.

I'm really not looking forward to seeing the car leave...

Mike

welcome to the club, sunny in Leeds as well, reckon you may have picked a good day to pick it up, forecast sun today and tomorrow I think!

Greg

Hello Again.

Mark, don't worry I joined the club in Septmeber last year although I still can't post on the for sale section so if anybody can tell me how?

Picked the car up yesterday.  Was all going very well indeed until about twenty miles from home.  Pulled over to fill up with petrol and when I turned the ignition back on, I got a red warning light.  I didn't know what the light was for so decided not to risk driving it any further.  Left the car at the hotel I'd stopped at and got a lift back with my mate who'd been following (trying to ;)  ) me home.  Anyway, I've had a chat with Michael about it today and I'm pretty confident I'll have it sorted when I go and pick it up later.  If not I'll tow it back so at least its back in Newcastle.

Thorougly enjoyed driving it up to that point.  The weather was good, with just a couple of spots of rain on the helmet visor.  I don't think I could have driven it much further though, when we first pulled over I thought we'd be driving for about a 100 miles but it turned out to be 40!

Fingers crossed I'll get it sorted tonight and take it for a blast at the weekend.

Cheers for your help Mike if you read this.

red lights are 'normally' a warning for the ignition/charging circuit so it may be a loose fan belt or a wire has come off the alternator so check these first (unless you already have)  ;)

BTW : I assume you didn't get the warning light AFTER turning on the ignition but BEFORE starting the engine, as that's what it's supposed to do  ;)  :0  :durr:

red lights are 'normally' a warning for the ignition/charging circuit so it may be a loose fan belt or a wire has come off the alternator so check these first (unless you already have)

Yeah thats what Mike and I reckoned.  I think its the alternator belt although it wasn't squealing much but I'm gonna give that a go and take some jump leads up just in case its flattened itself overnight

By the way if anybody has driven on the A68 between Newcaslte and Jedburgh, I think you'll agree its a fantastic bit of road.  Some sections are probably too fast to suit the Westy but the sections with a few hairpins on are fantastic.  You can see for miles so theres room for some tailout fun!  And if you time it as perfectly as I did, you can take a photo of your car next to Kielder water whilst the sun is setting.  looking forward to getting that developped.

btw mine sometimes has the ignition red warning light upon starting which a blip of the throttle sorts out.

Graham,

Glad to hear that your not too down about the warning light situation.  As I said, I would imagine it would be the plug coming away from the alternator or the belt itself working its way loose.  I was a bit hacked off when I heard of your problem though as this was the last thing that I wanted to happen to you.  

Other thing possibly worth checking are the bolts attaching the alternator to the engine block.  I'm not sure if they are lock nuts which might mean they could vibrate loose after a while.  If this was to happen it could result in the belt becoming a bit slack and hence the light coming on.  Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope everything goes alright tonight and please let me know how you get on.

I was always tempted to rig up a cable to allow me to plug a personal stereo into the intercom system which might make the motorways more bearable.  Something you might want to think about after last nights journey!

Good luck with the car and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  Please do keep in touch.  All the best.

Mike

Well, I know what the problem is now but haven't sorted it out yet.  When I went to pick the car up last night, the battey was flat, which was to be expected.  However it wouldn't start with Jump leads.  It turns out that the alternator had seized up and was providing so much resistance that the car wouldn't even start, actually it did start briefly but you could see smoke coming from the alternator.  Towed the car back so at least its in Newcastle now.  Mike, you don't happen to know which alternator is fitted do you?  If not, I'll just whip the old one off and take it in.  Anybody reccomend someone cheap in Newcastle?

Christ, really sorry to hear that you have had trouble with the car.  The alternator was replaced about a year ago for a reconditioned one that I got from a local motor factor.  I just took the old one in and he worked out what it was.  I don't know though what car it came from.  Sorry.  I'll hunt about and see what I can find out as I'm sure it has been discussed on here in the past.

Anyone got any ideas?  Alternator for a 1700 x-flow in a narrow bodied car?

don't worry about it mike.  I'm gonna take the old one out now and take it to a supplier this afternoon.  Hopefully it'll be going again by this evening.

Problem almost solved now.  I popped home at lunch time and took the alternator off.  Dropped it at a local shop who are going to recondition it for me and I'll pick it up after work so hopefully the car will be on full song again by this evening.

By the way, I couldn't believe how easy it looked to get the alternator off and yet what a pain it was.  I managaed to take the whole bracket off the block but couldn't get the alternator out of the gap between the air horns and exhaust manifold.  Ended up taking the horns off and taking the manifold off the head to make a gap.  Sorted now though.

get the alternator off and yet what a pain it was.  I managaed to take the whole bracket off the block but couldn't get the alternator out of the gap between the air horns and exhaust manifold.  Ended up taking the horns off and taking the manifold off the head to make a gap.  Sorted now though.

I concur...except I didn't have any air horns.

I got my alternator replaced on a like for new basis by a friend of a friend.

Good luck and welcome to the wheel world.