Hardtop!

Sideways-Darren

Just wondered if anyone had seen a hard top for the Westy?

and what are your opinion on the ragtop and tourneu(?) cover available from westy? does anyone else do them.

They look pretty good to me, but being tall i find it difficult getting in and out.......... thats a point anyone got any tips for making a graceful exit from a fully weathered-up Westy?? i can get in easy enough. (i just fall in then drag my legs in after me!;)

???

oops sorry.. should have done a search first.. loads of info on here for the hardtops.

but still.... how do u get out gracefully with full weather gear on?

:t-up:

how do u get out gracefully with full weather gear on?

You don't :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :p  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:

I have to admit I've wondered this myself. The only way I can (easily) get in and out is to stand at my full height in the floor of the car...if there was a roof there this would be a tad difficult!

Presumably you could just unclip the front of the hood, raise it back and get out, swiftly re-attaching it if necessary?

However, I have to say that after my 'Wetfield experience', that driving in the rain wasn't all that much of a drama, the only reason I was wet was sitting in the puddle that had formed in the seats while the car was parked :).

Andy

Ye gods - I fitted my hood the other day, a sort of dry run in the garage.

I nearly tore the thing trying to squeeze through the hole to get to the seat. Elbows and shoulder pushing against the fabric just to the point of it collapsing the screen and popping all the poppers around the whole car. Bruised me fruits on the 'door sill' as well to add insult and agony to injury. For an hour I felt like Houdini must have felt. Or Terry Waite. I was a captive.  

Mrs Minghis brought coffee for me to drink during the recovery period, whilst regaining my strength sat in my canvas toomb, and after a small cigar I tried to exit but to no avail. Honestly, it's a bl**dy nightmare and not something I ever want to do again. Outside assistance (aforementioned Mrs) followed muffled instructions and unpopped me, eventualy releasing me.

This was without the doors fitted - had they been I imagine extracation would have been even more difficult.

I'm 5' 8" (erect) and not by any means overweight, but I recon all this weather gear is only suitable if you have the shape of a racing snake. As for a rigid hard top - no way!

Ye Gods Minghis, I have never considered my 18 stone to be typical racing snake. As always there is a technique to every thing. The first thing with an erected hood is to forget all dignity, go in head first with one leg and throw yourself back into the seat in one stylish move. Then lift the now trapped leg (by the door) into the car and then get comfortable. This is all whilst trying not to breath( steams up too quick) and drive away.

To get out simply open the door with your head and shoulders, walk on your hands until you can get a leg out and stand up. Wait for the appreciation of those now stareing at you with admiration at your contortions, and strech casually. This is much harded when two people are in the car but not impossible if good freinds or perverts.

hth Jeff

:cool: .....jeeze folks, I can see you’ve not got the “knack". Strange though it may seem, you actually get into a Westfield with it's top up backwards. That's right, backwards. Face the rear wheel arch stick your right leg into the foot well then corkscrew in. You land on the seat each and every time and, it looks cool. Well, I do anyway.

:D ....I'm 6ft 1in and weigh in at rugby playing 87k, so if I can slip into my SE on a cold wet day I'm bl**** sure you wide-bodied boys can.

:0 ....why not junk the speed series and have a competition based around getting in and out of your car the fastest.

Jeff - you did this to me, remember it was your car!!!!

Chaz - surprised your not too busy accounting for the Stella to apreciate the despair I was in!!!

I'll have nightmares about this now.....

Later,

Minghis.

Then lift the now trapped leg (by the door) into the car and then get comfortable. This is all whilst trying not to breath( steams up too quick) and drive away.

LMAO!!!!!!! this is sooooo true!  :D

the orriginal hood on mine had two cuts in the fabric to make a flap about eighteen inches wide and two zips inserted so that when the hood was fitted all you had to day was unzip the panel put the flap to one side ,climb in and then re zip it worked quite well.

mick

• 3 months later...

I've found no problem getting in and out with the hood on.

Getting in:

Facing forwards, left leg in first, bend at the knees and shove head in near the steering wheel. You should now be in a sitting position with your right leg still outside the car. Bring that right leg in!

Getting out:

Lift yourself out of the seat and stick your right leg out of the door. Lean forward and stand the right leg up, poking your head out simoultaneously. Sit on the wheelarch and take your left leg out. I keep a rag in the car to dry the wheelarch if it's wet.

My knees are starting to get used to this brand new way of moving, but it never ocurred to me that it couldn't be done

Ah well, there's the rub.   If you don't know it's impossible, and you succeed, are you doing the impossible, or are you just statistically the exception that proves sod's law does exist?

:D  :devil:  :D