Tyre Choice Westy SEiW

Mikey

Need new tyres (on the rear wheels at least). Currently have old Avons 205/50 (type now unavailable) which are fine but would consider 195/50 as with the 205's there is only a paper thickness gap between tyre wall and the front cycle wings.

Would only like to change 2 tyres now. Has anyone considered running with 195's front and 205's rear and any implications?

Obvious problem would be the spare which will be 205 still but I don't normally stary to far.

Mikey

i know 185 front and 205 rear are a fairly common combo, and dont see any real problems.  depends on the power i guess.  generally larger rear cars are done to balance the car when biggish power is at play  :)

what sort of avons (eg CR500's, ACB10's, rock solid?)?  what sort of grip level are you looking for? i would not want to stick something much grippier on the front even with the narrower width it will still unbalance the car.

personally i would change to yoko a539 15/195/50's all round.  these are a nice grippy tyre, fairly long lasting.  these are about 35 quid a corner.  depending on the spec of the avons these may be suitable to use with the rear as is.  you can then upgrade the back later.

oh yeah and ditch the spare :devil: its just weight

mike

personally i would change to yoko a539 15/195/50's all round.

Have to agree, unles 200+bhp :devil:

oh yeah and ditch the spare :devil:

its just weight

Ditto.

The Avons are CR338's (6 years old!;). The power of the car is 180 BHP.

My plan was to change the current 205 front to the rear and put 2 new stickier 195's on the front.

Ditching the spare wheel sounds tempting. D you take a can of foam to get you home or just an RAC card? :durr:

Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and ditch the 338s. They're what I had on mine.

Just go out for a really long blat, spin the rear wheels as much as you can. Then, when you get back, put your hands on each tyre.

Bet the fronts are stone cold, and the rears barely warm.

That's what convinced me that they offered basically no grip.

Haven't had chance to have a proper drive on the 539s yet, but initial impression was that there seemed to be much more grip.

195/50 15s all round on mine I think.

Andy

i think you may find that the a539 yoko in 195 has more grip than the cr338 205. personally i would not fancy have more grip up front than at the back.

i think probably buy two a539s.  then see whether you want them on the front or back.  you may decide that you cannot live with the car with either set up and end up buying a further two a539.  i dont think you will be disappointed.

mike