Buying Advice

gadrego

Hi all.  I'm thinking of going to take a look at a couple of Westfields this weekend.  Probably due to budget (about £5k) these will be XFlows.

Just want a little advice regarding what I should be looking for in terms of potential problems.  Is there anything specific to XFlow engines that I should be wary of?

Thanks in advance

Most xflows have been moded from the original engine, i.e most are re-bored to 1700.  Basically look for one that has an engine where lots has been done to it - this will save you money in the long run.

Look for ones fitted with:

Unleaded valve seats (if not, will cost around £200 to get this done)

Kent 244 or piper 285 or similar cam - with Vernier pulley

1300 GT pistons

Baffled sump

Steel posts on Valve train assembly

Gas flowed - larger valved head

twin 40 weber carbs

Above spec will get you around 130bhp

other than that, same as any car, no oil or water leaks, lots of receipts, good build quality.  Good Luck.

cheers

Chris

...with respect, try to avoid a 1700 with 1300 pistons. They are the cheapest way to 'up' the compression and they really aren't up to the job. They were designed for a 60bhp engine and are recognised as the achilles heel of the c******m 1700 engines.

So, they are the 'worst case' piston spec, anything better is ... well ...better.

Listen for words like Hepolite or better still Accralite in repect of pistons.

Just trying to help :)