• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

How to wire in a push-button starter?

peterrosey

I've got a Meagbusa kit - nearly finished! - and I want to fit a nice tarty starter button (flip-up red aircraft style ignition on switch and waterproof push-button starter button). I'll keep the key for security, but any tips on carrying this out - wire colours etc?

Stripping an engine or anything mechanical I have no problems with, but anything involving strands of copper... and I'm a complete f**kwit!:durr:

Also, I guess I'm better off doing this after SVA?

Any help much appreciated!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steppenwolf

• Pembroke Pat

• rob iles

• peterrosey

Do it after the SVA!

The job is actually very simple -

Push Button Starter

On the rear of the existing ignition switch (on your steering column) you identify the switched 12v feed (usually white) and the starter solenoid cable (usually white/red) and solder on extra leads to the two solder connectors. Route these two wires to the rear of the push button starter switch so that they are in parallel (electrically) with the existing connections.

Ignition switch (aircraft style)

On the rear of the existing ignition switch (on your steering column) you identify the permanent 12v feed (usually brown) and cut into this about 2 inches from the ignition switch. Solder in an extension cable to your new aircraft style switch from both ends of the newly cut cable.

To start the engine, you will then need to turn on the ignition with the key, throw the aircraft switch and press the starter button.

However, this system will disable all the electrical systems when the aricraft switch is in the off position which I do not particularly recommend!! A better use for the aircraft switch would be to cut or make the connection for the power to the petrol pump.

Steve

Thanks for the tip on the starter button - even I can manage that! :D Probably...

Regarding the aircraft ignition cut, what is it that you're not keen on? Would it do any damage to the electrical circuits, or are you just thinking about the fuel pump still being active with the ignition off?

I thought it would be quite useful to have the ignition activated by a switch that's easier to get at than the keys (plus for track days it's easy to kill the engine).

How about adding an extra aircraft switch (I like these!;) to the fuel pump circuit? (By interrupting both feed wires to the pump and running wires along centre tunnel to twin pole switch? Or is there a better way of doing this?)

I also plan to do hill climbs as well in the car, so I guess at some point I'll have to add an FIA battery / ignition kill switch to the outside in any case.

I also plan to do hill climbs as well in the car, so I guess at some point I'll have to add an FIA battery / ignition kill switch to the outside in any case.

This is not currently a mandatory requirement. If one is fitted it must kill the engine and electrics.  :)  :D

steppenwolf a quickie for you ref your wiring, putting the aircraft switch a side if you switched your ignition on ie dash lights lit,and pressed the starter button the engine will turn over and start yeah,but back to ignition lights on again would the original key still turn it over as well ? as before wiring up starter switch thus giving you two ways of starting your engine ??

if you wanted to disconnect as it were the option of turning the engine from the ignition switch all together would have too disconnect one of the two wires you have piggy backed off from the original ignition switch or is it totally different to this, cheers Neo :t-up:

• 8 months later...

could someone please explain how to wire in a push button

switch, while still keeping the keyed ign/barrell for security,

so it only starts from button,and key acts as a switch

ie, turn key, push button......vrooooom :durr:

i am just finishing off a very long rebuild, and would,nt want

anything to go wrong at this stage, :blush:

new loom just fitted so nothing wired to ignition yet,

i have 3 wires to finish.   red/white=solenoid

white =sw/live

brown=perm/live

where do they go,,,? :durr:

cheers rob

Rob, my instructions regarding the Push Button Starter do exactly what you want!!

You insert the key, turn it to IGN thereby unlocking the steering lock and activating the ignition circuits and then you either turn it one further position to start the engine OR push the starter button that you have fitted as per my description and the engine will start  :)

Stepps,  can it be wired up so that it only starts by the button,  and not by key,

because it makes the button irrelevant if you can still start via the key, (key/ign mounted in middle of the dash

no steering lock).    :0 So just to verify

brown- to L/H side ignition switch.

white   to r/h side  ignition switch with spur to button.

red/white      to other side of button.

p.s dont mean to sound  :durr:  :blush: just want it to be

correct, the summers almost here. :cool:

Stepps,  can it be wired up so that it only starts by the button,  and not by key,

because it makes the button irrelevant if you can still start via the key, (key/ign mounted in middle of the dash

no steering lock).    

Yes, it can be wired so that the key comes out of the starting equation - I had assumed from your post that you wanted to keep the standard installation incorporating a keyed ignition? If I have understood your original post, correctly and you are still going to have keyed ignition then I am not sure why there is a problem having both starter methods available to you? Having the button and original key starter does not make it irrelevant, just gives you a choice of operation and easier wiring! Also, using the method I have outlined has a built in safety feature in that pushing the starter button without the ignition switch being in the right position will not allow the engine to even turn over.

However, if you want the key starter disabled, this too can be done fairly easily. You would have to disconnect the original white/red lead and the new cable soldered to the same 'terminal post' and then join the white/red cable to the new cable. Both would then be isolated from the ignition switch but with the ignition switch on, pressing the push starter would connect the white red cable to the 12V positive feed, thus firing the solenoid and thence the starter motor.

I will draw up a circuit diagram for you later today ( after the Mother's Day bit is finished! ) and post it here for you and all will be revealed   :)

Rob,

Rather than supply a one-off answer here, I have written an article and placed it on my web site for future reference complete with wiring diagrams which I hope will explain all to you:-

Push Button Starter

Let me know if it makes sense or not!

Stepps ,   very well presented ,and informative.

thanks for your reply , you can always rely on club

members to help out those ,not so techie minded :blush:

cheers rob.

Excellent stuff! Many thanks for the info (have finally bought a push-button switch - just got to find the time to fit it!;)

:D  :D  :0

Would you be able to use the push button starter out of a production car e.g.farrari,renault. Do these have the same terminals

just one point... how much current is going through the wires when on turnover?

arent most push starters a switch to activate a relay?

check the ratings on the switch if its a hefty current