A couple of build questions

Doug Dastardly

Hi World,

Build Update

Due to work and weather I haven't done much building.

I've now got my fuel tank and borrowed an engine hoist so I'm ready to go again.

I've had a couple of minor probs fitting my sump and I've now got to wait for a couple of o-rings before I can finish that and drop the engine in. (Do you like how i said 'drop the engine in' as if i'd done it heaps of times, knew what I was doing and it was going to be easy!!!) :D  :D  :D

I'm hoping to get the engine in this weekend if I get my o-rings in time. dratted xmas post :mad:

Questions

1) Can I tighten and torque the suspension bolts when I drop the chassis down, or should I wait until the engine's in and the car's weighted up?

2) Any advice on engine fitting?

3) My fuel tank wobbles on the mounting as if one of them is twisted, is this normal?  This is before applying foam so that will help. The fuel tank definatly has a bow down one lenghth.  When fitting the mounting bracket (FW car) I struggled to fit a washer between chassis and bracket in one corner but eventually forced one in. Worried that it was this twisting the mounting I've taken it out, but the tank still wobbles on it so.........

4) where can I get a slim washer or should I just force the other one back in?  And do I just apply foam to tank mounting and bolt it down? With the bow down one lenghth I don't see what else I can do?

Much thanks for any help,

Doug

:durr:

1. Wait until it's fully loaded...

2. Yeah, I'd fit one...

3. Get the foam in it and re-try. Mine moves around less when the filler is attached though ;)

4. Dunno...

1 agree with Blatman

2 Get a helper to work the crane. Get it high and let the gearbox droop and push in. a good help is an adjustable crane mount which allows you to level the engine as it goes in. Cover the area with blankets to avoid damage to the engine bay or chassis.

3 On mine  re made the brakets so that when the tank was fastened down it held it all in place nicely.

4 Not sure what you mean on the washer put you can get washers in differing thicknesses but it wil be hard to obtain. Other option is shim steel and make your own. Engineering suppliers would be a good place to start.

I've only ever fitted the engine and gearbox as a complete unit once, and it was an absolute 'mare to do. Raising the back end of the car as far as you can will help; but I found it took, many, many, times longer than my normal way of just fitting gearbox then the engine. I also found I ended up having to remove far more bits of car to give the engine/gearbox "wiggle" room.  :down:

1 agree with Blatman

2 Get a helper to work the crane. Get it high and let the gearbox droop and push in. a good help is an adjustable crane mount which allows you to level the engine as it goes in. Cover the area with blankets to avoid damage to the engine bay or chassis.

3 On mine  re made the brakets so that when the tank was fastened down it held it all in place nicely.

4 Not sure what you mean on the washer put you can get washers in differing thicknesses but it wil be hard to obtain. Other option is shim steel and make your own. Engineering suppliers would be a good place to start.

Good advice, I would add look out for brake pipes, they are easy to bend/damage with a heavy enginer swinging around.

My engine and gearbox has been in and out twice, a load leveler helped me a lot as you can adjust the angle with ease.

Load Leveler

hth

Matt