Replace Clutch or springs in MegaBird

morty

I think my clutch is on the way out in my Megabird and I would like to know if it is a simple enough task for me to do myself.

Seen alot of the choices of Clutch and springs and not really decided yet, but any instructions, pointers would be great.

Hi Andy,

It's a doddle of a DIY job, you should be able to do it in an hour or so.  I've not done it myself mind, but I've got a seriously ill (read dead) Blackbird engine in my garage with a clutch on it - I can practise / take some pictures for you if you like.

It'll probably take you longer to drain the oil and get the oil tank out of the way than to change the clutch itself!

What are the symptoms?  I assume it is slipping?  Remember it is a wet clutch, so this could be down to your choice of oil.

Moomin

Edited to correct poor use of english

Hi,

Ok I will perhaps have a look this weekend then.

Problems I have been getting are bad vibrations on acceleration, at first I thought it was the reverse gearbox but had a look last weekend and checked all bolts etc.

It is slipping also not that bad but noticeable and the clutch smell is there. only done 4,500 miles also.

What oil you got in your blue beauty!

Opening a can of worms . . . ;)

I asked the same question last weekend regarding a 'busa clutch and most people said use the standard clutch plates and if it's slipping, try a semi synthetic oil rather than synthetic.  Some synthetics are too slippery (can this be true ??) for a wet clutch and they tend to slip.

But I've also heard many people say their clutch is fine on fully synthetic . . . guess it's a case of trying it and see what happens.

The 'bird and 'busa clutches tend to be fine just with standard components.

The blade can be more sensitive to clutch slip, and I run a Barnett Kevlar in mine.

Its probably because the Blackbird and Busa are much bigger touring bikes. With panniers, rider and pillion, they probably weigh 75% of the weight of your car...

Your problem doesnt sound like clutch slip to me...

But if you're going to change it, I'd say put genuine Honda parts in it. Worth the money.

Cheers,

Al.

Hi Morty,

Jacksons superbikes in Burton have always been really helpful if you want to pop in to them.

Hope this helps,

Noel

Mines a baby XR3 engined westy but theyve always been great with my brothers bike  :devil: Drop me a mail if your coming into Burton and we can meet up.

Cheers mate,

Noel