Too Much Fuel?

jim

This weekend shortly after filling up I parked on a bit of a hill. Ten minutes later there was a small amount of fuel on the ground that had leaked out.

Once back on the flat and on closer inspection there was a small amount of fuel on the top left of the tank (opposite side to the filling cap). There are two outlet pipes here which is where I guess the problem may be (is this some sort of breather system?)– can’t see too much without taking out the boot box. Once wiped and rinsed off and left flat there was no more fuel escaping….

Is it just a combination of the tank being too full and parked on unlevel ground or do I need to worry?

As you will have gathered I’m not mechanical  :durr: – tried a search but no luck - so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

If it's a zetec tank (like mine) there is a breather pipe at that corner of the tank and I have found that if you fill up with petrol then have a shortish drive home (cornering like a looney), you get some leakage of petrol. I'm guessing there must be some sort of one way ball valve in the pipe but that rapid changes of direction let some sneak out. My garage stinks if I'm not careful.

Stu

Thanks Stu, it is indeed a Zetec so sounds like that was the problem and nothing too major to worry about. Won't be filling it quite so full next time!

Cheers Jim

Your fuel tank should not leak when brim full IMHO

Westfield `claim` that all tanks are individually pressure tested and I believe it  :blush:

I have replaced my breather pipe hose clips, checked it for cracks etc and checked my filler and pump connections, everything ok but I still smell petrol as in a previous post as discussed here

Concensus is that the smell is vapour only but no-one has stated that petrol is actually leaking.

IMO a leak is a serious issue and needs to be found/resolved  ???

Yup, shouldn't be leaking petrol out regardless of weather just filled/angle of parking.

Mine is fitted with a oneway valve/breather type thing and I've never had a problem with fluid loss/vapour smell. I'd ring the factory and see what they fit as standard.

Dave O.

PS- Long time no see Stueyboy, thought you'd bought a cobra and sold the westie!!

At the very least, I'd run some fuel tubing from the vent to let it leak away somewhere it will not cause a fire.

Hardly a satisfactory state of affairs though.

Thanks for all the replies, I have just spoken to the Factory, spoke to Andy. He reckons this would happen if the tank were brim full and parked on a hill. He said if the car was upside down it wouldn’t leak (good) but in this case it would….

The car was factory built in 2001 so presume this is what they fit as standard.

Apparently Mark Walker is back on Monday so I think I will book the car in for a service and ask them to check it out…. What do you think?

Cheers