What's a westie worth?

sempers

So I'm seriously looking at buying a westie (or similar), looking at the cheap end of the market. Ideally 4k/less. So, it's probably an SE, with a X-flow, and if I'm lucky, cycle wings! What I'd like to do is get something that I can sell on easily (if I don't like! ), and isn't going to loose a lot of cash.

Given that I'm probably going to disagree with the owner on what it's worth  :D, how do you get a feel for the value of a car, effect of miles etc? It's not likely to have a service book, or be in a price guide! Is an earlier car that's been rebodied worth significantly more, engine upgrades, or a later (early 90's car?) better? How much of an issue is the age - 5k for a 10-12year old car seems a lot with respect to more 'normal' cars!

Advice welcomed, will hopefully be looking at some next week when work quietens down a bit...

- Mark.

I guess the only way to get a feel for the 'value' of a car is to compare it with other ones that are up for sale.

At the end of the day, if you don't think a car is worth what the owner wants for it, don't buy it.

Have a trawl of the usual places (FindIt, PistonHeads, Terry Nightingale, here) to get a feel for what's around. That should get you started.

As for losing money on it when you sell it on, typically the depreciation on a Westie is (by all accounts) fairly good (as in there isn't much) once you get over the 'new' stage.

Andy

Yep, basically do as much research as you can - look at as many sites and mags as possible. Then see as many cars as you can.

You'll soon get a picture as to values and how they relate to age and spec. of the car.

To be honest, mileage is not that relevant unlike tintops.

Have a look at as many posts on here as you can and that will help too!!

Good luck!

BTW not much danger of you not liking it.........!! :D  :D