Covered Interior Panels

JamesD

Well this one is for road use only and is my first build (appart from helping my dad build his 13years ago) and i want it to look nice inside and out (plush) then if i do decide to build one for track use etc i would not bother with interior etc as it would keep weight down, but i do believe that building a westy and then trying to make it lighter is the wrong way around, much better to do it from the start.

Mine's mostly for the road too.   Anyway, I'm 6'6 tall and weigh in at 17 stone, so a few extra pounds in the car won't make a jot of difference IMHO

:sheep:

mine too is for road use with a bit of track day fun.

I finished my car off with carpets and covered panels to make it smart, 'comfortable' and appeal to a wider potential market when it comes to selling it.

If you are bothered about weight and uncovered painted panels, then your car should have unpadded seats, be a racing car or have a bike engine :cool:.

I chose a westfield because of the level of finishing detail that is evident in comparison to any other sevenesque cars.

But i feel that by not finishing off the inside of the car, you are not giving the percieved value that the car deserves.

IMO and 2pennies etc ;)

I admit I am a newcomer on the scene :p but I bought a carpeted car last year  :blush:  :blush:

Westfield carpets looked cheap IMO, floor carpets crept under pedals etc etc and once wet they stank so I removed em within a week  :blush:

Alu panels dont soak up water and they certainly dont stink and take three weeks to dry out when wet IMHO

Easy to fit carpets rather than take `em out as I found out......  ;)

My sidepanels in the foot well have now disintegrated - damp coming in past the the gap between the firewall/body by the look of it.

The original panels go under the body, where they went over (temporarily during my running repairs) I would keep ripping them off as I slid over the door 'threashold' so I shal mount them under again.

The air pressure at speed down the side blew out my initial running repair (duck tape and cardboard :D:d ) at 110, holding the accelerator open and scaring the cr*p out of me. It also inflated all the vinyl down the side of the cockpit - pulling it away from the hardboard, so I am going for waterproof and thin... I am also going to extend the firewall to the side of the body...

I'm having a go at replacing the panels with sheet carbon fibre - anybody else tried this? It's not cheap (about £30 per half sheet) but should be maintainence free (I hope)

...©