Engine dies on throttle

Took my car for a pre-SVA MOT today and it went far better than expected: apart from the obvious failures like lack of front indicators (nose wasn't on ;)) and no front mud guards, it passed :D  :D The emissions were slightly out (though it was tuned by my heavy hands) and only needed tweaking to get down to 2.5% (legal being 3.5% ??? )

Anyway, whilst driving back (this will be denied to any law enforcement and cannot be used in evidence ;)) I was going up a (not very steep) hill and when I opened the throttle the engine nearly died :(  Had to change down to 1st and nurse it back, keeping the rpm below ~2000.

The trouble is this is the first time I've tested the engine under load and I need it to be drivable next Friday to get to my SVA. I was hoping to note the current carb setup, tweak it to make it drivable and then put the carbs back to the original setting for the SVA.

So, what's the likely cause? It might just be that the engine wasn't warmed up but I have little experience and don't really want to risk driving on the road again till the SVA.

Secondly: is the rear number plate lamp needed for the SVA?

I haven't fitted it yet because I still have not fitted the spare wheel bracket because I might not get one....

Thanks,

- Dan.

You will definitelly need the number plate light for SVA.   It is a legal requirement for all cars to have an illuminated number plate at the rear.

As for the throttle, perhaps it is a little too lean.   I'd up the mixture to 3%, and see what effect that has.

Neil

at sva you ahve to undergo a full speed test to prove calibration of you speedo. and a full brake test from full power..

so if you cant drive the car when set to pass emmissions.. i doubt they will pass the car at all!

my carbs were initially set up by the weber agent and was supposed to be right for my zetec, they were a long way out, but my local garage tinkered for a few hours when i had mine pre sva'd and they sorted it well enough to pass.

requires a bit of time and road side tweaking, but the garage put number plates on it.

Any competent garage will do it for you, but they will want arches and a nose on it...bonnet isnt such an issue, but you would get right royally f**ked on if you got stopped with open wheels!!

I've upped the fuel pressure on my Filter King (tm ;) ) and it seems slightly better. What I'll probably do is drive round my parents' field, which has a nice hill, so that I can test the engine under load. Also, I'll probably get up really, really early before the SVA and maybe make a few 'tuning stops' on the way to the test centre.

To make life a bit easier, I think it was 19th and 22nd September in my build diary for the number plate mounting wasn't it Ben?

Moom.

That's the one! I was supposed to mention looking at those  dates, but I've got a cold at the moment, and quite frankly my head feels like a badgers ar5e, hence the state of forgetfulness.

Now where was I?

Oh yes....... Taxi....

I'll get my coat.

I had a similar problem with power on my Zetec. Engine would die when moving quickly to full throttle. Traced problem (with help of Paul Dunnell) to the air filter back plate which was blocking a breather hole in each of the webers. Just drilled a hole in the back plate and it's fine now.