Weber air filters

Andrew

ahhhh, right then, shorter ram pipes on both carbs, sponge pipercross filters and a rolling road...

no saw then......! phew

Cheers (now feel like bloke from fastshow)

Andrew, I don't think it will make a massive ammount of difference, what you have could be miles out anyway if it's not been on the rollers before ;)

If your going to get it RR tuned it should be as you intend to run it after the tune, if you go on to make further modifications you may well need another session to take into account the new (post RR tune) mods.

I personally like the foam type filters (like the picture earlier in the thread) though I've used both types (K+N and foam) in the past.

Both of my Westies are narrow bodied ones (SE with a 2.1 Pinto and SEi with 2.0 XE both cars are in rebuild at the moment) so even with short ram pipes and filters I'd expect the filters to poke through the bonnet a fair bit.

Both have the K+N type filters (125mm) at present but I'll swap a similar size (depth wise) to the foam type later on.

Both engines use 62mm pam pipes.

Another advantage of the ram pipes is that they help to contain any fuel that is "spat back" out of the carbs at wide throttle openings at low engine speeds.

Andycc I suppose resorting to the saw will ultimatly depend on if you have a wide or narrow bodied car, how long your ram pipes are and what type and depth your filters are.

The foam type are generally better packaged as they are domed, the K+N type generally have flat tops.

Chaz.

Piper cross filter ordered, will be chewing a hole in the bonnet any day now! :(  ???  :)  :D

I've just done this, but have extreme difficulty in removing  the bonnet and putting it back on  :(  I've chipped the bonnet 3 times now and have to grind more off each time  :angry:

I've got the bonnet with the two locating pins on the front edge

Any ideas ?

Darren

DAZ4,The gap in front of filter will have to be at least the same as the length of the bonnet pin, to be able to pull it back. Other than shortening the pins to a minimum length, so keeping the gap to a minimum, I'm not sure what you can do  :t-up:             My bonnet is secured with four over-centre clips,(or not secured! ;). ) so I should be able to hook it over the filter sideways, and clip it down. ???

Andrew - That was the only answer I could think of as well !!

I think I'll shorten the pins, as I don't want a big gap around the filter plate.

Daz

Piper cross filter arrived yesterday, doing a few measurements, it looks like the back plate wont fit. :arse:  :arse:  When i ordered it from Burtons, I mentioned it was to suit a Westfield supplied manifold, and they said it should fit, 'cos they supply Westfield with their filters.  So, what now?, exchange it for a blank backplate?, :t-up:  lots of drilling, fileing, etc!. :angry:  :angry:  I'm stuck with my skinny K&Ns minus ram pipes for a bit longer :(   Has anyone bought a Pipercross from Westfield for a Pinto engine? I don't think it's listed in their catalogue.

Why does'nt it fit?  Is the cross member in the way

Is there an area furthur away from the back of the carbs (but still directly in line) that will make it fit

IIRC it's the backplate that caused me the most grief not the filter

I ended up making spacers between carb and b/plate, then fit trumpets on top of that

HTH

Dave

• Like 1

The problem I found this morning was the distance between the carbs is about 7mm wider than the drillings etc in the back plate. But, having read the last post (dasamdy) and had another look, I think there could also be problems with the lower edge of the filter fouling on the upper chassis rail.         I'll remove the K&Ns tomorrow and have a better look at it.  ???

No, the distance between the carbs is O.K, I'd measured up wrong. :blush:  :blush: However, the backplate sits far too low,even if the filter could hook into the slots at the bottom, it would be tight against the top chassis rail.

I don't think I'd even get away with using a blank back plate and positioning it higher on the carbs. Any ideas? ???

Andrew

I have fitted the pipercross filter, the problem I think you have is the bottom locators of the filter hits the top cross member on the chassis, I ended up making a new back plate with the locating tags at the top, fixing at the bottom, ie turned the air filter upside down.  On the back plate I put studs in so i could fix the filter on with wing nuts.  I also had to shave a small piece off one of the fixing points on the filter because this was calshing with the cross member.  I will have a look I may have a spare back plate that your welcome to have, if not I have the drawing for the back plate and will get some pictures if thats any help.

Chris

Chrisj,   Upside down may work, I'd appreciate a picture or two if poss. Is your's a Pinto with a Westfield manifold? The simplest solution is probably to exchange the whole lot for a pair of deeper K&Ns.