Damper rate

adamnreeves

Hairpin is aslower corner and although it looks better it doesn't look good. look at different angle of wishbones :oops:

Hairpin is aslower corner and although it looks better it doesn't look good. look at different angle of wishbones :oops:

Tel, its a V8 with underslung exhaust, so it is always going to be set up higher than the suspension is designed for, to give a working ground clearance. In fact, the ride height at the rear, coupled with the fact that in Adams first pic. he is exiting a left hander which he went into rather "hot" would contribute to the amount of roll. Whereas on his latest pic., going round the Fradley hairpin, it is a right hander of course, so the driver's weight is working  in favour of a level ride in the second pic., and against in the first.

SteveD knows about the stiffness or otherwise of Westfield chassis, and looking at his last thread it implies that cornerweighting a Westfield is going to put some diagonal twist into the chassis, which will act in effect as a spring, in pre-load. Result would be that the car would handle differently on one lock compared to the other. Precisely what corner weighting to achieve equal cross-weights is trying to avoid. Therefore I suspect that trying to improve consistency of handling on a Westfield by setting the cross weights equal is a futile exercise. Somewhat akin to Steve p*****g in the wind! (sorry Steve, couldn't resist it!)

So sounds like I ought to up the springs but I need to be careful I do not make the car too harsh to drive on the road. I would not describe it anyway uncomfortable at the moment so obviously so scope to do this. Maybe your spring rates for a BEC would make a good starting point for a road going SEiGHT with some track use.

There is too much advise on this thread, but to add some more  :laugh:

Your better option IMHO than upping spring rates is to listen to everyone who has said fit ARBs, these give much higher roll resistance than any spring change you can image doing. When you use the car on the road disconnect the ARBs to keep it compliant.

This will be more expensive than changing spring rates but there is no alternative in the long run if you want a car that handles well.

All well and good but the car weighs 777kg and in my opinion is too softly sprung even for the road

SteveD knows about the stiffness or otherwise of Westfield chassis, and looking at his last thread it implies that cornerweighting a Westfield is going to put some diagonal twist into the chassis, which will act in effect as a spring, in pre-load.

Steve D knows chuff all.

Corner weighting does not twist the chassis by the figures Adam has measured.

I doubt corner weighting puts any appreciable load into the chassis. When the torsional rigidity of a space frame chassis like a Westy is somewhere in the 5000 to 7000 NM/Deg.

SteveD knows about the stiffness or otherwise of Westfield chassis, and looking at his last thread it implies that cornerweighting a Westfield is going to put some diagonal twist into the chassis, which will act in effect as a spring, in pre-load.

Steve D knows chuff all.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

With apologies to Adam, we seem to have hijacked his orig. thread!

Not forgetting the camber on this corner also

Steve D knows chuff all.

<!--emo&:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh it was my thread. Was starting to think this was a new forum section  :D note to self, never post pictures on the forum of my car on the track.

When the torsional rigidity of a space frame chassis like a Westy is somewhere in the 5000 to 7000 NM/Deg.

What is the source of your figures?

I've tested one or two 'Seven' type spaceframes... admittedly not with the greatest of accuracy, but I'd suggest you need to divide those numbers by at least two.

You could be right. Quick testing on one I worked on with a few mods and the pivot and load points taken at the axle centre lines were of those figures.

Even at 3000 NM/deg torsional rigidity the chassis twist due to a mismatch on corner weighting will be minimal.

Steve D knows chuff all.

<!--emo&:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

i never said corner weighting or ajusting anything will twist the chassis ,i know how little force it take on the corner of a chassis to twist when i jig them  :)

Tel, its a V8 with underslung exhaust, so it is always going to be set up higher than the suspension is designed for, to give a working ground clearance. In fact, the ride height at the rear, coupled with the fact that in Adams first pic. he is exiting a left hander which he went into rather "hot" would contribute to the amount of roll. Whereas on his latest pic., going round the Fradley hairpin, it is a right hander of course, so the driver's weight is working  in favour of a level ride in the second pic., and against in the first.

SteveD knows about the stiffness or otherwise of Westfield chassis, and looking at his last thread it implies that cornerweighting a Westfield is going to put some diagonal twist into the chassis, which will act in effect as a spring, in pre-load. Result would be that the car would handle differently on one lock compared to the other. Precisely what corner weighting to achieve equal cross-weights is trying to avoid. Therefore I suspect that trying to improve consistency of handling on a Westfield by setting the cross weights equal is a futile exercise. Somewhat akin to Steve p*****g in the wind! (sorry Steve, couldn't resist it!)

again i never said anything about corner weighting twisting the chassis  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead: , i was stating about how little force it takes on a corner when jigging them to twist em

again i never said anything about corner weighting twisting the chassis  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead: , i was stating about how little force it takes on a corner when jigging them to twist em

why do I have an image of a burly chap jumping up and down on the chassis in a basil forty kind of way  :D  :D  :D

P.S. Posted them yet?

ayyyyyyy  :(

on there way wuv  :t-up: