Damper rate

adamnreeves

Photos circulating from my track day. Got some interesting pictures of me on the track. Picture of my nemisis corner where I lost it twice!

Looking at this suspension travel in this picture, no wonder I guess! Ok I took it far too fast but I was surprised at this one.

My car has been corner weighted and damper rate set to something reasonably stiff for road use and occasional track day with advice to add a click or two if I can stand the vibrations. I am using standard westfield, gaz dampers. The front is set at 13 and rear set at 12 in this picture. Standard springs for SEiGHT. No anti-roll bars fitted.

IMG_0180.jpg

:oops: Adam - My Old man says he has seen less lean on a 2CV when it goes round a corner  :oops:

I did a sprint tuition day at Curborough a few years ago and a Guy did it using his S class Merc and that had less roll than your car!!

Adam - my first point of call would be to get that set up looked at, your heights seem to be way out with what you have stated there, i would then look to add some more clicks to the shocks and play about with them,

for road use i am currently set around 15/16 clicks on the rear and 14 on the front, if i was going to the track i would be higher still.

next port of call would be looking at some stiffer springs for track use.

i would say there are simple issues to sort out here first before you go buying ARBs

I am going to call them tomorrow about this. Hadn't realized it was this bad until I measured it.

Based on your clicks I am way down. I presume you are using the gaz ones from the factory, have 24 positions. I am not going to be doing lots of track days but don't what something that looks like a 2cv round corners even if doing silly speeds into corners.

Just noticed you say more clicks on the rear? I was told to keep the rear slightly softer than the front otherwise nasty things will happen!

those click figures should the the other way round,  :p

Hopefully you have it the right way round on the car.

still reckon you should have the first westfield aerofan ;)

lets cut up some curtains to make some side skirts to aid that fan :p

lets cut up some curtains to make some side skirts to aid that fan :p

i have an old dinghy that will do

right bit of dinghy, some pop rivets and a fan - when we coming round to fit it?

I am not sure if everyone is winding Adam up or not but there seems very little wrong with his ride heights IMO.

If the car has been corner weighted then the drivers side rear should be lower when the driver is not in the car. (and whilst he is in the car).

The 'heavy' corner on a westfield is usually the offside rear as the driver almost sits directly over it; to 'reduce the percentage crossweight on the rear offside/front nearside diagonal the rear offside spring will have been 'unwound' on the damper - hence the car sits lower on this corner.

I can't believe (I can actually  :bangshead: ) that you have just bought an ARB of eBay though Adam without fully investigating what you need  :durr:

TBH the photo looks far more like poor corner execution on the drivers behalf than car set-up. (Running very wide on exit and applying more lock to steering)

Photos circulating from my track day. Got some interesting pictures of me on the track. Picture of my nemisis corner where I lost it twice!

Looking at this suspension travel in this picture, no wonder I guess! Ok I took it far too fast but I was surprised at this one.

My car has been corner weighted and damper rate set to something reasonably stiff for road use and occasional track day with advice to add a click or two if I can stand the vibrations. I am using standard westfield, gaz dampers. The front is set at 13 and rear set at 12 in this picture. Standard springs for SEiGHT. No anti-roll bars fitted.

IMG_0180.jpg

:oops: Adam - My Old man says he has seen less lean on a 2CV when it goes round a corner  :oops:

I did a sprint tuition day at Curborough a few years ago and a Guy did it using his S class Merc and that had less roll than your car!!

Yeah I bet he was going nowhere the speed I was. Problem with a still photo is that it does not portray how fast I took this corner to induce such roll. It's evident that my damper settings are too soft and this being the first time it has been on a track is not a big surprise. Problem I have now is getting to grips with what to change and by how much and the reason for this thread but it seems to be getting filled up with jokes and wise cracks. I have now left the building if anyone has anything constructive to say please PM me. Thanks.

You will not solve that amount of roll with damper settings alone !

You need front and rear roll bars first, get them fitted along with slightly harder spring rates all round then get it set up and try it. You should find that you can just play around with damper settings when you have sorted a good balance on the car.

Make notes on all your changes before and after so If you mess it up or forget what you have changed you can go back to previous settings.

Ragged

I have now left the building if anyone has anything constructive to say please PM me. Thanks.

Adam - please read my post previous on ride heights - I am being serious and I think they are OK - I have explained why.

I am not sure if everyone is winding Adam up or not but there seems very little wrong with his ride heights IMO.

If the car has been corner weighted then the drivers side rear should be lower when the driver is not in the car. (and whilst he is in the car).

The 'heavy' corner on a westfield is usually the offside rear as the driver almost sits directly over it; to 'reduce the percentage crossweight on the rear offside/front nearside diagonal the rear offside spring will have been 'unwound' on the damper - hence the car sits lower on this corner.

I can't believe (I can actually  :bangshead: ) that you have just bought an ARB of eBay though Adam without fully investigating what you need  :durr:

TBH the photo looks far more like poor corner execution on the drivers behalf than car set-up. (Running very wide on exit and applying more lock to steering)

Thanks Fraser just caught your post before leaving the thread. This is the kind of posts I was hoping for. My cross distribution is 48.4%

Ebay purchase I've been lucky as I explained to the seller and he has agreed to cancel the transaction. But yes, I was searching around and stumbled on it and it was much cheaper than new and it was unused so tried to snap it up quickly.

I induced under steer a number of times on this corner and I suspect this was one of these occasions. I've a lot to learn I know.

Firstly, my post was not intended as a wise crack, merely an observation.

Anyway, at that point had you lifted/braked? As you say it's difficult from a still photo to make meaningful suggestions as we can't tell what inputs you were making prior to  and during the corner. Did you have chance to get a more experienced driver to sit in the passenger seat and give you feed back?

As Fraser as said, maybe your driving as well as the suspension needs modifying. I found the course that I mentioned in my previous post very helpful.

John

yes another vote for a low right rear if corner weighted correctly, but make sure there is enough suspension travel left!