Damper rate

adamnreeves

What you are saying is perfectly correct for a rigid rectangle Stephen; but a westfield Chassis is more akin to a triangle. In this case all three points will always lie on the same plane so a very different ride height is possible at the rear.

In this example we have to assume lots of things -

(1) the measurements are probably obtained with

a ruller so an accuracy of '+' or '-' 1mm would be perfectly acceptable.

(2) The chasis is not a true triangle.

(3) The westfield chassis certainly does have deflection in twist and is not particularly rigid. (I would guess if 750kg's of force were added it would deflect more than 1mm?)

I would guess that it would be possible to get the front ride heights within '+' or '-' 1mm yet have the rear ride heights quite different.

...........Anyway, this deviates for the original reason why I posted in that it is quite normal to have a 'low' offside rear in a corner weighted car and the attitude of the car in the picture is more down to driving style than a poor set-up.

I personally think the car is pretty well set-up from Adams figures - just wish he would tell us who?

He has told us who in a previous thread. I believe thay are based in Northampton  ;)

Sounds like I'm going to have to buy my own gearbox then? :(  :(  :(

IMG_0180.jpg

Ive just speed read through this thread but that looks to me like a combination of going into the corner too hot with lift off oversteer and possibly  spring rates too soft  and lack of arb ?

from my experience of track use  the stiffer i went on rates the quicker I lapped. I run standard westfield supplied springs for a couple of seasons but was very soft and in pictures looked like your car  :blush:  

Harv convinced me to go stiffer and from memory I was on 275lb rears and something like 375/ 400lb fronts on a 500kg bec.  I actually found more time doing this then when I changed from a 1300-1550cc Busa  :sheep:

with that set up it was very good on circuit but it didnt make a good road car over bumps  :oops:

In summary the car rolls too much even if beyond the reasonable speed to corner round the molehill and this is due IMHO  to inadequate spring rates ( too soft) and no ARBs. Change the springs , fit ARBs, set ride heights best you can and forget corner weights then just drive it and it will have improved dramatically

All this tecky talk about corner wieghting is great,  but looking at your first post picky No1.  

To my eyes it seems as if you have tried to carry to much speed into the corner , gone in too deep, missing the apex completely  :t-up:

Could the cars attitude be down to the late (later) braking forces involved plus the coast side effects of differential loading the suspension and making the car corkscrew .

Hard to tell from a static picture but just my 2 cents worth but I would be wanting to check brake balance and possibly diff set up , is it LSD ?

:t-up:

Yes I have admitted to carry in too much speed. Brake distribution all I can say it passed the IVA, left to right the forces where pretty spot on according to the IVA man. The computer said that bias was correct in terms of not being dangerous. I have have the Westifield uprated AP master brake cylinder. Raceleda 4pots on the front with raceleda cross drilled and grooved discs, Hawk pads, Rear has standard sierra slider type, think ex-cosworth, green stuff pads, again cross drilled and grooved discs. All the braking I have done, the only time I saw evidence of a bit of a lock up was on the right hand side front which happened just as I was starting to turn the wheel to make the 90degree right after the straight.

Differential is a Ford 7.5" LSD, one item I am very pleased with, its saved me many times  :D I got the oil from Ford to ensure that I used the right kind of oil.

Ive just speed read through this thread but that looks to me like a combination of going into the corner too hot with lift off oversteer and possibly  spring rates too soft  and lack of arb ?

from my experience of track use  the stiffer i went on rates the quicker I lapped. I run standard westfield supplied springs for a couple of seasons but was very soft and in pictures looked like your car  :blush:  

Harv convinced me to go stiffer and from memory I was on 275lb rears and something like 375/ 400lb fronts on a 500kg bec.  I actually found more time doing this then when I changed from a 1300-1550cc Busa  :sheep:

with that set up it was very good on circuit but it didnt make a good road car over bumps  :oops:

Jeff, that sounds like a fair summary of how I was driving at the time.

So sounds like I ought to up the springs but I need to be careful I do not make the car too harsh to drive on the road. I would not describe it anyway uncomfortable at the moment so obviously so scope to do this. Maybe your spring rates for a BEC would make a good starting point for a road going SEiGHT with some track use.

you would not believe how much twist you can get in a westy chassis with very little force on a front corner ,if i can work my pissin phone il post a vid in a while

I see the problem...... You're using "greenstuff" pads! :D

(Sorry!) :)

Yeah I know but my logic was crap pads on the rear would help getting through the IVA. When they need replacing I put something better in there.

Yeah I know but my logic was crap pads on the rear would help getting through the IVA. When they need replacing I put something better in there.

i have a set of new in box pagid rs 14's if your interested wuv £90 posted

i have a set of new in box pagid rs 14's if your interested wuv £90 posted

PM on its way.

• Like 1