Damper rate

adamnreeves

Photos circulating from my track day. Got some interesting pictures of me on the track. Picture of my nemisis corner where I lost it twice!

Looking at this suspension travel in this picture, no wonder I guess! Ok I took it far too fast but I was surprised at this one.

My car has been corner weighted and damper rate set to something reasonably stiff for road use and occasional track day with advice to add a click or two if I can stand the vibrations. I am using standard westfield, gaz dampers. The front is set at 13 and rear set at 12 in this picture. Standard springs for SEiGHT. No anti-roll bars fitted.

IMG_0180.jpg

better put anti robar bar on upgrade list :D

and stiffer rear springs

Your nemesis was the mole hill? Thats one of the easier corners for me :oops:

It's too soft and it needs roll bars.

Using damping to control roll is a huge compromise, and you should have added more than a couple of clicks. When I first started I used to add betwen 7 to 10 clicks to what was my road going Westfield to help with this, but of course it was still massively compromised.

There now follows a fight between those who say the springs need to be several hundred lb's/in AND you need ARB's, or those who say that you use ARB's to control roll and keep the rest of the car as soft as is practical.

that looks like it handles like a sack of potatoes

Anti roll bars do make a big difference have a look here at my car pushing about 1.5g through a 60mph corner.

Your nemesis was the mole hill? Thats one of the easier corners for me :oops:

It's too soft and it needs roll bars.

Using damping to control roll is a huge compromise, and you should have added more than a couple of clicks. When I first started I used to add betwen 7 to 10 clicks to what was my road going Westfield to help with this, but of course it was still massively compromised.

There now follows a fight between those who say the springs need to be several hundred lb's/in AND you need ARB's, or those who say that you use ARB's to control roll and keep the rest of the car as soft as is practical.

the first half of the day I was happy with the mole hill. but as I got faster round the track it started to become more difficult. I think I was taking it way too fast. I was thinking off doing some engine upgrades over the winter but looking at this and your useful suggestions I think I will spend money on control not power!

I think he's put that V8 in the boot...

weight distribution was something like 51% front, 49% rear

that looks like it handles like a sack of potatoes

Suspension was quite hard. Pushing down on the front with my 13stone body and I mean both feet leaving the ground I cannot see it move. The rear is a little softer when I do the comedy pushing down on the rollbar it probably moves about 10mm. However I know the spring rate on the rear right is lower than the rear left when it was being corner weighted it was noted the spring length was different. Also the car sits lower on the right hand side and thats without me in it.

Here's another, taking at speed the correct side of control.

Different angle.

IMG_0179.jpg

oh and a picture not moving!

P1010972.jpg

Anti roll bars do make a big difference have a look here at my car pushing about 1.5g through a 60mph corner.

Wow, ok I am sold on ARBs. I guess I only need on the rear? I cannot see where I can fit one on the front, too much stuff in the way. Anyone with an SEiGHT like to comment.

No fit both not just rear or you will go off the track backwards :D

Front and rear anti roll bars needed for sure. Plenty of topics on this subject, try a search.

Shouldn't be lower on the right without you in the car so suggest you sort spring lenghts and try again with corner weights.  

Ragged

I think its tricky to fit arb's on the front of SEiGHTs

with the rad duct and oil cooler behind rad etc but

pretty sure Buzz has front arb on his V8,

Marcus

PS - Adam are you going to fit a decent roll bar  ???  :t-up: