Is this normal ??

DutchWestfield

Hi,

I just found out that I have an enourmous play in the bearing in the rear uprights of my SEiW that I am building at the moment. I disassembled the rear upright again, and checked what causes the play between the rear hub and the upright.

To my surprise the play is in the bearing, i can move the inner ring with respect to the outer ring. The outer ring is solidly pressed into the rear upright. The hub fists with a nice slide fit into the inner ring of the bearing, no play there.

I can move the end of the axle stub up and down by about 2 mm!!

Is this normal (play needed for thermal expansion or so), or do i have a slight problem (takes quitte long to swap parts if you are in The Netherlands...)

Thanks,

Bertram

Visit my Webpage

There will be play in these until you got them torqued up to the manual spec!! which is quite a high torque setting

If you still have play then you may have a faulty bearing i guess.

I'll second what sedsy says here, just assembled the rear suspension on my kit and noticed the same problem. Tightening the hub nut up a bit made matters a lot better - so should be fine when torqued up correctly. :D  :D

Ian.

There should be absolutely no play in the rear upright bearings - it's an instant MOT/SVA fail if any is detected.  The hubnuts should be torqued up to 250ft/lbs ( yes 250!!! ).  I took mine to a Ford shop and the mechanic had a little laugh when I asked him what the torque should be, "Me standing on the end of a four-foot tommy-bar with a brew in my hand is about right, but seeing as you are being fussy I'll do it with a torque wrench" he said!

-John.