Software update tonight ×

Wiper wheel box fitting / SVA centres

2 seperate questions for y'all:

1) I've been fitting my wiper wheel boxes (from Westfield) and used my (heap o' **** [tm]) pipe bender to bend the tube and ended up with some lovely kinks  :angry: After much banging & vicing ( ! ) etc. I managed to get the pipe straight again and then bent it by hand. Trouble is, I think it bent (& kinked slighltly) again at the same points and now it feels really stiff  :0

I packed the tubes with grease and have tested the wipers and they do actully turn, though sound a bit laboured... How easy should the rack fit into the tubing? Do they always sound a bit 'homemade' when on?

2) Starting to think about SVA and wondered if anyone had any experiance with either Avonmouth or Taunton SVA centres. I'm in Bristol and AFAIK these are the only close(ish) ones, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Dan.

I found this to be a real b***h of a job. I bent the tube by hand as my pipe bender was really designed for brake pipes. I found the whole exercise a real pain and although I did not kink the pipe it is still a bit 'Heath Robinson' to me. The wipers do work though and they passed the SVA test but it always sounds like the wiper motor is having to work too hard.

:arse:

I had a similar problem with my wiper tubes - in the end I sent them back to Westfield to insert the spiral drive & return to me when it was running smoothly.

I live in Bath & had my SVA in Avonmouth in September 2002.  Write up is on my web site  here.

As you are in Bristol, are you coming to the Bristol & Bath area WSCC meet on Feb 20th?  Details here.

Cheers

Chris

Same problem with the wiper tubes. So I used some 8mm microbore copper (available from any plumbers merchant or one of the sheds) which shapes easily. I flared the ends with a 1/4 drive socket (about 5mm I think) tapped in to the end of the tube.

I have loads left over in the garage so if I can help anyone out

(Harefield Middx) e-mail me.

Robin  ;)