Virus - WARNING

Mark Stanton

Just a note - over the last 4 or 5 days I've been receiving from a number of members an automatic e-mail sent from their address books containing a virus called Bugbear  :(  :(

I did start e-mailing folks back directly to let them know but I'm now getting so often, that it looks like its spreading like wildfire  :angry:  :(

I use Dr Nortons anti virus and McAfee which seems to be picking it up.

We all use e-mail so much to distribute info and newsletters - it would be tragic if someones computer went belly up because of it  :(  :(

If you haven't got a virus scanner get one quick -  ;)  :(  :(

Tonites latest crop of infected e-mails came from Mancs, Lancs and Northants members e-mails - it's not your fault guys just some sad little  :arse:  who can't find some better use for their time other than to write virus codes.  :(  :(  Shoot em  :devil:  :angry:

god i thought you were on about smallpox  :p not bl**** pc's thought it was serious for a minute ,doh ! got to go have maiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii l l    cough cough cooooooooough  :durr:

i dont think my PC could get any worse

error this, illegal explorer that.

its all a bag of confusing ****e to me!!!!!!!

i dont think my PC could get any worse

error this, illegal explorer that.

its all a bag of confusing ****e to me!!!!!!!

sounds like you need to upgrade from the windows 9x series

mark i got it sent to me from somewhere and it thanked me for the order i had just submitted,fortunatly norton anti virus picked it up and would'nt let me open it so it went into quarentine and deleted,no harm done thank god.... :arse: they are

It came to me on 3 of my e mail addresses, it even had my name on but with a service provider i have never used  ???

ie paulh@tesco.net couldn't understand that bit  :(  

as you say Mark  :arse:

If you ever see a file extention with 3 extentions jujst delete it

example

picture.jpg  thats a good un ;)

picture.jpg.scr thats a badd un ;)

Just thought i would add that for anyone who did not know

My home PC is infected.  First printing stopped working (first symptom), then when I connected to the internet my firewall picked up around 500 attempts to access the internet within about 2 minutes (that would have been all my mails and details from outlook express).  Apprently it does disable your virus scanner as well.  I wouldn't know cos I haven't got one at the moment.  Got to wipe the whole PC at some point cos it is full of rubbish.

A friend of mine also has it on his home PC.

Norton antivirus got disabled and won't run.

went to Norton website

try to download patch for virus scan

said he hasn't paid up, and can't get download.

to sort this out he needs to do a liveupdate from the scanner,

but

Norton antivirus is disabled and won't run

vicious circle.  He downloaded some other scanner in the end.

Yep - the first thing Bugbear does if you haven't updated your Nortons Virus scan is to trash it, so creating even more problems  :(  :angry:  :(  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I have spent the day getting rid of this virus from several clients who have Norton Anti-Virus but have not kept up to date with their virus definitions!! This virus has disabled their anti-virus software so they cannot get the updates to delete the virus  :arse:

HOWEVER, there is an easy fix - go to:-

Stinger Software for W32.Bugbear

This program has worked overtime for me today....

Hi folks

Just back from two weeks working in Cyprus.  Yes lots of alcohol  :D   :D   :zzz:

Checked and opened e-mails

checked Boardroom for recent gossip

b******* - the bit about a three part address sounds familliar

Updated Virus checker

Spent the last two hours making sure the bug was dead  :arse:

Rob iles -  my infected e-mail had your name on it, with an attachment, through a third party,  topic about wheels.  check out Stepenwolfs link to Stinger

Yep Bugbear is still being sent out from various members systems  :arse:  :(  :)  :(  :arse:  :(  Received it again last nite and tonite  :(  :arse:

Yes - I've had it as well and probably sent it on to some of you guys. Probably tempting fate but ... I have managed to kill it on my PC by downloading the free Anti Virus software from www.grisoft.com.

Try that if all else fails

cheers neil, norton antivirus did not help, :arse:

this bugbear B###ARD. went through my mailing list like a

dose of salts.  :arse:

The message you refer to was sent to me from a guy called

EDDIE BARROW, as a reply for wheels,in the parts for sale.

where and when did this all start?????