buying advice again ?

wrightster

any 'amateur built car' regardless of registration date regardless of engine year is only subjected to visual smoke test at mot. My 02 plated car had to have cat and emissions test for sva, but after that it's visible smoke tests only. I have had this confirmed by various sources...

So it doesn't even have to be Q plated then.......... ???

Well that's a new interpretation isn't it????:durr:

It's not such a new interpretation really. (Can't be bothered to search for old threads).

James is quite correct about the fact that any car built from a kit (see your V5 for verification) is ONLY subject to the visable smoke test.  The registration or age (car or engine) does not matter for the MOT.  I verified this myself TWICE with the VI before I took my CAT off my self built N reg 1996 with 1996 engine.

As for the future......  The vehicle inspectorate will at some time in the future hold emissions data on your car in a central internet accessed database so that your MOT station can download the data for the car being tested.  This change will be applied retrospectively though :) .

So, non of us that have got the magic words on our V5 need to have a CAT for MOT purposes.

Just rung about the car its an SEW, built by an AA mechanic ,has had 2 owners and is newcastle area sounds good but not for me cos i fancy an SEIW if i can get one, just thought i would put these details on if anyone else is intrested ..... :D

Be aware that the MOT rules may have changed recently - if you have a car which passed SVA (ie anything from August 1998) it may have to meet the same emissions test at MOT time.

This was posted on blatchat in respect of k-series engined Caterhums but knowing the way things work I suspect they may extend it to all cars

That was what I understood - that if car had to pass emissions test at SVA then it would be expected to meet same standard at MOT - hence people keeping their Cats to re-attach at MOT time.......

Oh I dunno......... ;)  :durr:  :durr:

Mines a Q, 1995, so I "think" I don't need to worry...... :blush:

Hi Mr Wrightster, you're right to wait until you can get an SEIW if that's what you want. Don't jump in and compromise as you will find what you want within your budget, especially at this time of year. Don't forget that Hurdsey and me will come with you if you want when you find something that fits the bill for a second opinion/moral support and what the guys have said here is all good advice, better to ask now than suffer later. Good luck with the search  :D

Don't forget that Hurdsey and me will come with you

I just hope that Hurdsey does colour control and you check out mechanics  :devil:  :D  :D  :D  :)  :D  :D  :cool:  :blush:

Tin hat is on and ducks for cover  :D  :devil:  :D  :p

Paul H, Thanks for that offer mate, its just a case of me being patient now and waiting for the wright car - hope its not too long though  :D

Thanks for that tip Mark ;) I was at the factory over Xmas and they are building another in Lilac so it appears that I'm not the only Westfielder with taste :0