SEiGHT Fuel Tank

DMS

On a factory built SEiGHT, I believed that the fuel tank should have a capacity of circa 45 litres.  When I fill mine up from nearing the empty mark on the gauge it'll only fit in about 22 litres.  Is it likely to be the gauge, sender or whatever that's wrong and what would be the best way to fix?  I suppose I ought to have a look at the size of the tank to make sure it's bigger than my smaller Megablade one - is there a quick and simple way of accessing it?

is there a quick and simple way of accessing it?

Jack the car up, support with axle stands, and whip the wheels off. You'll be able to measure the end aspect from there, then get under the car to measure the width of the tank. Then go find your calculator to work out the volume.

If it turns out that the tank should indeed hold 45 litres, I'd be looking at a poorly set up sender first..........

Is that 22 litres indicated by the forecourt fuel pump?  If so, and you do have the bigger tank, then it sounds like an airlocking problem to me.  Check the breather, that it isn't blocked or kinked.

Moom.

The current long range fuel tank on the SEiGHT is 36 litres according to spec sheet.

I've never been able to put more than 32 litres in mine, and when I emptied out the tank manually after it reading zero there was still about enough to fill a gallon can, so this would suggest that 36 is probably about right.

There is an art to filling the tank right up and to be honest I can never be bothered faffing about. You get so much blowback that you have to go real slow, and usually the forecourt pump will cut out on you after a certain time.

Generally I'll add anything upto 26 litres or so at a time, so there's always a bit of spare capacity in there.

If you want to get to the tank then you'll have to remove the boot box. If you've got a factory built car with standard rollbar, then you'll have to cut the boot box out (or remove roll bar first).

There's a couple of pictures of my boot box with the cut outs in the corners to allow it go fit around the roll bar here ->

http://www.cloverassociates.com/seight/images/misc/boot_left.jpg

http://www.cloverassociates.com/seight/images/misc/boot_right.jpg

Once you've looked at the tank you''ll notice that the tank is a lot higher than the point at which the petrol filler tube joins it. This would appear to me to be wasted space as surely the petrol would be forced out of the cap before you could fill this part ?

Well, the main body of the tank amounts to 38 or so litres and there is an extra bit at the side - so a capacity of around 40 seem close to the mark.

Just to explain, the gauge says the tank is empty.  The pump lets me put in 22 litres and the gauge then says full.  But this is half the capacity!

The comments about breathers and senders are much appreciated but an idiot's guide approach to getting this fixed would really help.

There is an "idiots guide" to how fuel gauges and senders work here. I doubt very much it has anything to do with the breathers, 'cos the fuel pump nozzle doesn't make an airtight seal in the filler neck of the tank.........

FWIW, the blowback that Seight experiences is probably caused by the baffling inside the tank. A little patience will see a tank filled to capacity without any problem.

as an aside I bet the 'how weapons section' is proving popular both at home and all round the world  :0  :D   Lets see, two toilet rolls some old staples and instant grenades....