Flywheel / Quickshift extension

Taurus

Hi,

Is the main purpose in lightening the flywheel to obtain a faster gearchange? If the answer is yes then am I wasting my money buying a quickshift from Westfield if I am using an unlightened flywheel? Are there other reasons for fitting both.

TIA,

Peter.

The two are unrelated.

A lighter flywheel means the engine is wasting less energy turning heavy lumps of metal so the engine response is quicker and acceleration can be improved.   Doesn't produce more power, it just changes the way the power is delivered.

A quickshift gear lever also won't necessarily help you change gear quicker (the synchro in the gearbox is ultimately the deciding factor there) but a short throw on the gear lever makes it quicker to move the lever from one gear to the next (assuming the gearbox doesn't baulk and slow the change down).

For example, I have a type 9 close ratio straight cut box with a quick shift lever.  The throw is nice and short and feels great, but upshifts at 8,000rpm are held up by the gearbox, not how quickly (or how far) I move the lever.

So, both items do different things and, IMO, are nice additions to the car.

Peter

I fitted (rather Paul@playskoolfitted) a quickshift to my MT75 box and IMHO it made the car soooo much nicer to drive. I dont know if i shift :0 gear any quicker but it makes the car feel more sporty when changing gears.

Andy

P.S. I have a quickshift for a Type 9 box if you are interested??

OOer

Does the quickshift change the position of the gear lever :0  cos I`ve just made a new gearbox cover plate and drilled the gear lever hole :angry:

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Hilux

Carn't tell from that picture. ???

The quick shift changes the 'fulcrum' point which enables a shorter shift.

I don't think it changes the position of the gear leaver. (it didn't on my MT75 box) :sheep:

Andy

hilux,

from the picture it looks like you have a westfeild extension mechanism to move the gear lever postion backwards. This also incorporates a "quick shift" in that as well as moving the pivot back it also shortens the throw on the lever, as per Bananaman's reply, so shorter or quicker movement of the gear lever required to move the cogs in the box. I would suggest you leave this as it is. You can make the throw even shorter, but I would think it may give selection problems.

rgds,

Steve