First Road Test - No Power ???

AndyM

2.0 Zetec, DCOE 45 Webers, Dunnell ECU

Set up carbs according to a number of members web pages, seems to run OK - idle reasonably smooth at 900rpm and engine speed increases OK when throttle is pressed.

But...On the road there is no power above 2500 rpm, engine just falls away. Impossible to drive.

Just checked the balance again with the syncro, 1 & 4 barrels are balanced OK each showing 4 on the synchro but barrel 2 reads 5 and 3 reads 2.5..Is this the problem if so what could be the cause ? Or what else might be wrong ?

Had a similar problem with the same spec as you. The float on the front weber was not set correctly, therefore when I opened it up it just flooded. also had them re-jetted and got another 12bhp from those supplied by Dunnell

I had this problem initially. It was due to my foam air filters being up against the bonnet when fitted, thus restricting the air flow into the carbs. Check you have got an unobstructed air path into the carbs.

Regarding the balance problem, Check you have the mixtures ok for each cylinder. Some Webers have an air bleed screw (on the side of the barrel with a white plastic cover). If one barrel of the carb is down you can bring it up with this if necessary.

Kevin

You say the car idles fine but then gets worse higher up the rev range. Does the engine feel like it's missing? If so one option would be to look at some securing screws located underneath the carbs. These hold some venturis within the carb in correct alignment. Best way to check is take the filter off then look down the trumpets and see whether any of the components are loose.

Made a world of difference and cost about a £1 to fix.

See screw 28 at:

http://www.webcon.co.uk/weber/45dcoe.htm

Simon

• 2 months later...

Sorry ages since I posted this  but finally got it sorted (work getting in the way of real life again...). Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

For info the problem was due to the Air filter backplate blocking the vacuum inlets on the carbs. Contact me if you want more detail.

My thanks to Paul Dunnell for his help with this.