towing

mmmmdonuts

following on from the fuel pump problems post.  I have decided that I should forget all ideas I ever had of ever working on my car, and stick to sitting behind a desk.  I'm taking the Westie to the bloke who works on the other car to sort it out, and maybe do a service at the same time.  Anyway, I need to tow it there.  I had a quick look at the Westie this morning in the garage, in the dark.  Looks like the rope has to go under the nosecone and attach to the chassis there?  There is a hoop there, but not sure what it is for, doesn't look too strong.  Guess I should go for the main bit of the chassis.  Only bit that worries me then is the rope rubbing on the nose cone.  I guess I just need to try it out with the other car and see if it makes contact with the nose cone when taut.  

Has anyone out there towed their Westie?  It is only a couple of miles away, and we will be doing it very early morning when the roads should be very quiet, so we should be able to take it nice and slow.

Any tips gratefully received.

Just noticed that you can see the bit of chassis that I am talking about in my avatar.

I generally tow with the nosecone and bonnet removed. I fix a loop of tow rope around the front corner of the chassis, near the lower suspension pick up point. This has the advantage of being able to position the tow rope on the same side of the Westfield as the towing eye on the tow car.

BUT, before you give up, what's the problem? I can't remember......

The problem was with the fuel pump.  It cut out occasionally for a while, which I assumed was a bad connection.  Fiddling with the wires would get it going again.  At the weekend I thought I would have a look at it, and now it doesn't work at all.  That is an amazing skill that I have.

What I didn't know (as I was reaching up from under the car) is that there were 5 connection on the fuel pump for the 2 wires.  Once I realised this I checked the build manual and made sure that the two wires were back on the right ones.  They were, but still no joy.  In all the playing with the wires I may have connected them up wrongly at some point and knackered something.  

I also have a problem with my Brake lights that I posted about last October (doesn't seem like that long ago).  I did get some very helpful replies about bleeding or replacing the pressure switches.  I responded "I'll have a look, give up, drive round with it like that for ages, have another look, ask someone, try again, maybe do it, or pay someone."  Looks like my prediction is coming true as I was going to get the bloke to sort that out as well, and change the oil while he's at it.  

Not counting cosmetic things (bolting things on to a mini and changing the interior) the only successful thing I have ever done to a car is changing a tyre.  I think.  I know I have to start somewhere, but I just wanted my car back on the road.

What sort of pump is it? Describe it's size and shape if you haven't got a name............

[sucking eggs] Have you checked the fuses? [/sucking eggs]

Have you checked the earths for the rear lights? They can get covered in crud really easily, and *might* be affecting the fuel pump earthing.........

Where in the country are you? I have some free mornings coming up, assuming I can drag myself away from my PC.............

The car is a totally standard factory build from 2000.  According to the build manual the fuel pump is supplied fitted to the tank.  All that is visible above the tank is a metal ring, with two pipes and the connection for the wires sticking out of it.

No, I haven't checked the fuses.  That is something I might actually be able to do too!

I haven't checked the earths for the rear lights.  Like I said, my knowledge of cars extends to changing tyres.  I wouldn't know where to look.  The lights do work if you push the pedal hard enough though, so the pressure switch problem sounded right to me.

As for where I am in the country, I might well be your closest Westie neighbour.  I live in Wycombe (you are in Beaconsfield aren't you?  Or did I imagine that?)  I generally leave for work at about 7:15, so mornings are a bit tricky.  I probably could start late one day.  I have booked my car in to bloke on Thursday, but I could cancel it.  Are you really that charitable?  I will (for obvious reasons) never be able to return the favour with any help on your car.

On an aside, I did work in Loudwater until recently.  One day I had a conversation as follows...

Friend:  "I just saw a Westfield on the M40".

Me       "It might be someone I know, what did it look like"

Friend   "It was a really horrible green colour"

Can't imagine who it might have been.  Anyone you know?

You imagined the Beaconsfield bit, but I'm only 15 minutes from there............I have a Westfield owning friend just 7 minutes away, so you're not the closest  :p  :p

What time do you get home, and have you got a garage with power and light? If so, what about Wednesday (er....tomorrow) night?  If you've got oil and filter, we can at least accomplish an oil change...........

Mind you, if the chap you're using is knowledgeable, and/or a decent engineer, he *should* be able to sort it. Familiarity with Westfields is a BIG advantage, though...........

As for a horrible green colour Westfield on the M40........could've been anyone........ :D  :D  :D

I get home at sometime between 4:30 (rarely) and 6ish, depending on how many things are going wrong.  I do have a garage with power, but no light, but that should be easily sorted by the power part (although in 4 and a half years I have never used the power socket in my garage.  Might not work for all I know).  It also currently has a leak, which I hadn't noticed cos I hadn't been out there for a couple of weeks.  Rather wet car.

Obviously the main thing that I want to get sorted is the fuel pump (or whatever is stopping it from starting).  The bloke has been good on other cars of mine he has worked on, but has no specific kit knowledge.  

If you come all the way over to mine and all we accomplish is the oil change it seems like a lot of effort on your part, considering I would then still have to tow it.  If we (you) managed to get the car running then it would seem a lot more worthwhile.  That, I am guessing, would be a lot easier to attempt in daylight.  Our garage is a pretty small one, and working on it in there would not be that easy.   You said you have some free mornings coming up, is one of them tomorrow?  I could probably arrange a late start at work (I guess I would still have to leave by 11ish at the latest though).

There is also the matter of repaying the favour.  Obviously if you did come all the way over and sort all my westie related problems you would save me a reasonable amount of cash.  It would take a lot of beers at the Thames Valley meets to pay it back.

Thinking of going to Florida anytime soon?  I'm sure I could get you a discount on a very nice villa  :)

Driving from my house to yours after work is not much effort. Poking around the back of some-one elses Westfield isn't really a great deal of effort either, so no worries. I can bring lights and an extension lead, and all the necesary tools ('cos they're already in the car..........), so again, no worries. The only thing I can't give, is a guarantee that I can fix it..........I may be able to give you some info to pass on to your man on Thursaday, which may save some time/money. 'Course, I may not have a clue what's wrong.......

Mail me at blatman@blatman.co.uk and I'll look up your address on Multimap, and arrange a time etc etc........

I've sent you an email.  Thought it would be easier than using the board.  Seems to be running a bit slow (on my machine anyway).

Blatman - after your sterling effort getting those wires back on, I still couldn't get it to start the next day.  Ended up towing it to the garage anyway.

He removed the roll bar and boot box to get at the fuel pump easier.  Turned out there was a loose connection the other side of the plug in the fuel pump that eventually became totally seperated.  He re wired that so that you now plug the live and earth onto different terminals, and it now works.  (does that make sense?)

Should get it back later today or tomorrow morning.  Haven't got the bill yet.

Yeah, it makes sense. I was pondering wether to test to see if I could use different connectors on the pump, but it would have taken a bit longer, and it was quite cold.............

Glad it's sorted though. I hope the bill isn't too big.

Any idea why it wouldn't start? Was the pump still "working" the next day, or had it fallen silent again?

He did say that the wires were on backwards, so the fuel pump wasn't pumping.

Once he got it all back together, it stopped working again.  Dismantled it again, and found that the wire leading to the fuel pump had split inside the casing about an inch from the fuel pump.  now he has sorted that out he is sure that it won't fail anymore.  He has put a rubber cover over those connectors as well.

Good to have a working car again.  Took it out Sunday and slid around a lot on the icy roads.  Nice.