Search Function

MikeB

I thought I was reasonably computer literate but I must be doing something terribly  wrong when trying to carry out a simple search of the message board . What ever I put in gets up to nine pages of “matches” and a little message (when I return to search function) that usually says you have two unique matches. The trouble is it does not say where to look!!!!. Do I really need to trawl through nine pages in the hope I may find some reference to my enquiry? Any advice would be gratefully received.

I think Blatman should do a master class on the search function as it is his fav subject.

Calling Blatman :D

He'll be back shortly Matt  ;)  :)  Now his belly is full  :devil:  ;)  :)  :D

Call me a sad old git but I thought I might meet the mythical Blatperson at the Thames Valley meet tomorrow. It’s the first time for me and I won’t be bringing the Seight as it is, (ahem!;) indisposed at present due to adverse road conditions, lake of necessary skills etc.

I'm not a myth, I'm a Mithter...............

I'll be at Thames Valley, hopefully giving the Green Meenie it's first outing of 2003.............

As for the search function results, I've never actually seen that particular message displayed, so I'm confused. I've just tried a quick search, and all I get is a listing of threads in the familiar interface.........no clues as to where the answer might be, and no "match count".........

As with most internet searches, a bit of lateral/imaginitive thinking may be required to help define the search.

What you need to do is run a search, then click on the search button at the top right.  You'll then be given a lowdown of your last search.

For example, I've just run a search for the term "wibble" for all posts in all forums(?) which returns a page of 18 results.  When I click on the search button I get this message at the top of the page:

You last searched on 12-1-2003 when you searched for posts during a topic title and post search for ' wibble '. This search returned 2 unique matches.

A quick check of three items in the list turns up a string match for the word "wibble", so the count of 2 is proven incorrect (at 4k per sec I'm not going to check them all!;)

However, it is disconcerting to have conflicting messages for a search, especially when an apparently huge number of results are returned with the prospect of searching them all with the nagging doubt of whether the requires/remembered article is amongst the hits.

Is this a cue for the request for an advanced search function?

I used my imagination in quoting a phrase to include a white space as part of a string match.  It did me no good  ;)