SVA question

whizzingalong

Hi, not sure if this is important or not.

Is there an issue concerning 'exposed' wheel nuts and the SVA test. For example some alloy wheels have the nuts completly recessed within the wheel, is this a requirement for a pass ?

While I'm here, how much wider if any are the detachable rear arches than the fixed kind ?

Thanks

Yes, there is potentially an issue with wheel nuts. As I understand it they shouldn't protrude beyond the rim.

Can't help on the wheelarch Q I'm afraid.

Well my nuts are exposed :0

and its not very comfortable in this weather i can tell you  ;)

seriously though mine passed with exposed nuts  :D

but that was almost 3 years ago

From my understanding there is no difference between the fixed and detachable rear bodywork (latest moulds). This is what Westfield told me last Summer, but you may want to check.

Regards

JD  :)

I went through SVA end 2002 with KN Minators on which the domed nuts are not fully recessed in the wheel but do not protrude beyond the rim. Have a chat with the SVA centre - they are quite helpful.

Liam

Thanks guys, as soon as I have got my head around the offsets and or spacers issues I can order some wheels to go with my kit.

The main issue with wheel nuts, as I understand it, is radius, so if studs protrude beyond nut and can be impacted by test sphere it's a fail as edge of stud is a sharp edge.  This can be avoided by using domed nuts which cover the studs or a flush wheel centre cover.