Ball joint rubbers

DAZ

Hi there

Just been checking over the car and noticed 2 of the ball joint rubbers top and bottom have splits in them,can these be bought seperate or does the ball joint/rubber come as a all in one kit if so where is the best place to get these.

Thanks DAZ

To be honest I'd be inclined to replace the whole thing.

If the rubber has split then you might end up with grit and other nasty stuff in there, all of which can wear the ball joint much more quickly.

If they're a few years old then it might be an idea to replace them anyway.

Mine are split on one side and my car has never left the garage  ???

Has been in the garage for a while, not because I am slow at building it but because it is a quality build :)

I had come to the conclusion that I would have to replace top and bottom ball joints, even before the car went in for SVA !

Andy,

If they've split without the car ever having turned a wheel then I'd be inclined to see if there's any recourse from Westfield to get some new ones.

Sounds like it might have been a dodgy batch and surely they'd want them back to pass on to the manufacturers to run some quality control checks on them !  ;)

In any event :

a) I'd say it would be an SVA fail point.  It would certainly be an MOT failure; and

b) I'm not sure you can get just the rubber boots.  However, it might be worth ringing your local Prattco to find out.

It would certainly be an MOT failure

This is not the cast but you should get an advise on split ball joint rubbers (not a failure). I think that it was a failure in the past though.

Furry muff !

I to admit I was just working on the basis that I'd been pulled for it ages ago on my MG Metro (can't remember if it was a fail or an advisory though) and that they generally get stroppy if they see rubber boots and gaitors with splits in them coz they can ooze grease or oil over things like the brakes.

Quite agree with you Nick it is bad that something that could seep grease so near the brakes would not fail test after all if you C.V. boot had a split that would fail. MOT`s are a bit of a joke if you ask me. The M.O.T. can’t have any mechanics working for them, as the MOT would be a lot different. :t-up:

Both of my lower rubbers spilt within a year of fitting and car had never been on the road so I phoned Westfield and they said they don’t do rubbers only complete joints and really it is not a warranty item but would change them under a good will

But as already painted and fitted I did not want to by more paint and fit new ones and prop the car up on blocks so I can send the old ones back I found a seller at the kit car show at Detling last year (the only thing I found at the kit car show?) 60p each

jamie

Just a thought of what nick/matt was talking about CV joint failing mot

Only on the front wheel drive car not a rear wheel drive fail the mot? Brakes are near front and back what’s the difference?

jamie

:durr:  :durr:  :t-up:  :t-up: