Where to get a foam filled tank??

peterpeter

ATL make foam filled bag tanks to order. Probably not cheap......

Demon Tweeks also sell foam that you literally stuff in to your existing tank. Page 203 of the 2003 catalogue.........

Can I ask why you want/need one?

sure, well I jointly own the car with my neightbour, and he is worried about the safety aspects ,with regards to a rear end collision and the chances of the tank piercing and dropping fuel.

I know the heat is away from the tank. But if its not too expensive, it might make him feel better.

I'd be looking at bracing the rear of the chassis with some extra metalwork. I have seen one car with a piece of box section fitted in between the rear diagonal braces, which runs across the car at just above the mid point of the tank.

Or you could cover the rear of the tank with some ally honeycomb, a'la c******m racers.

I hope you're fitting/already have fitted an RAC rollbar as well, being as safety is paramount........an RAC 'bar has substantial rear stays that *may* help in a rear end impact........

Me, I've never worried about a rear end impact igniting the fuel, and besides, a leak of liquid fuel is preferable to a leak of fuel vapour...............

sure, well I jointly own the car with my neightbour, and he is worried about the safety aspects ,with regards to a rear end collision and the chances of the tank piercing and dropping fuel.

Seen a few having been shunted / accident with damaged / punctured tanks - Yep it spills fuel - but you need a great deal of heat to generate a fire - as blatters says the worst is vapours.  ;)  Which you will also have with a foam filled tank

Just don't mention brake fluid to your neighbour else he'll want to enclose all the pipes etc - that ignites sooooooooooooooo much easier  :devil:  :D  ;)

and besides, a leak of liquid fuel is preferable to a leak of fuel vapour...............

Funnily enough I was thinking the same.  And unless you get a really super duper foam filled tank, i.e. seriously expensive, I don't think you'd really get the full safety advantages.

As Blatman said, the rear stays of the RAC bar should help in protecting the tank in a rear end shunt.