How Water resistant is a Westy.

peterpeter

Just wanted some opinions on how water resistant a westy is....i.e. how well does the interior (dash ,electrics, seats etc ) stand up to a good soaking... Im asking because im thinking of buying some waterpoof biker leathers. and using it for trackdays, whatever the weather (obviously i would take out the carpets.)

I've never had any problems and my car has been soaked plenty of times !!  1/2" of water in the footwells isn't uncommon !!

Most of the switches and instruments are all pretty well sealed so that's not normally a problem (water can drip down the screen vents if you only have a tonneau) and the rest of the cockpit can be dried off with a sponge.  You might want to consider a bare GRP seat like a Plays-kool one as anything with padding / cloth covering can take a while to dry out.

Depends on the type of switches and interior trim used used.

If the rest of the interior is plastic, then it'll be OK, except where the water seeps into any stitching. It'll be wet for weeks unless you dry it out with some sort of airflow.

Also note, biker leathers are NOT waterproof. Biker waterproofs are a good idea, though. I use Baleno waterproof, unlined trousers over my jeans, and a waterproof rubberised yachting type jacket for when it's raining.

You should look at any unlined 1 or 2 piece oversuit. Heine Gericke do an unlined 1 piece for about 40 quid, which several of my employees rave about. My employees are all despatch riders, as was I (for 17 years), so I know a thing or two about waterproofs  ;)

You do NOT want anything that has a warm lining either, 'cos you'll be too hot.........

FWIW, the green car uses waterproof military spec aircraft switches, and has no carpet or any other absorbant material anywhere on or in it..........the plastic seats have some stitching though, and drying them out after a soaking takes longer than you think.........My sprint car has "normal" square rocker switches, and has been fine in even the most full on downpour, BUT it's never out in the rain for extended periods, 'cos it's the sprint car. It lives outside for 6-8 months of the year too......

I've got an old Frank Thomas all in one waterproof suit that I wore when I was a biker. It has been a godsend in the speed series over my fireproof suit (Scammonden & Harewood yuk) and not been pulled up by a marshall/scrutineer yet!

Blatters is right Biker leathers are not waterproof, but you probobly meant Biker waterproofs anyway. (Look a bit of a nob with knee sliders on in yer westy!!!;)

My car is water resistant, it's just not Tommo resistant!!

Tommo

Can any car be made Tommo Proof ????

Probably not !!!!

Happy new year everyone.

Rob

You are not allowed to wear waterproofs over race overalls for sprints and hillclimbs. if you have managed to do so thus far, you have been merely lucky that the marshalls and scrutineers have not pulled you up. Be warned  :0

JL

Can any car be made Tommo Proof ?

Mines now Tommo proof for 2003  ;)  :devil:  :D  :)  he can't change class so easily  :devil:  :D  ;)

if you have managed to do so thus far, you have been merely lucky that the marshalls and scrutineers have not pulled you up.

Twas only at the extremely wet Scammonden - where permission was given - subject to fireproofs being worn - The rain was torrential  :(  :(  :(  :D