Shocks and springs.

Rob B

Hi,

I've had a 1991 SE for a couple of weeks and it's everything i expected. Got a question tho...

The springs on the front feel pretty good - fairly compliant in that i can push the front of the car down a few cm just by leaning on the chassis. But the back feels rock hard - i can hardly make it move and the ride is painfully harsh. The shocks are spax and adjusters front and back are near their softest positions. The build manual also says that the front springs should be black. I've got black on the back and red on the front??? Is it possible someone's got them wrong? I can't believe it should be this stiff!

Cheers for any ideas.

Whatever your shocks are set to, the back should always be softer than front - Turn all your clicks off fully anti-clockwise (remembering where they were set to  ;)  ).

Turn them back on - perhaps trying 3 to 4 on the front and 2 on the rear (assuming you have the yellow Spax sealed units).

It does sound as though the springs are "back to front" according to build manual - Do the black springs have a white mark on them  ???

What engine do you have  ;)  Black and red springs  ???  Do you have an axle  ;)

When you swap springs over check your shocks for weeping and whether they still work efficiently  ;)  ???  If they are the original Spax shocks from 1991 - then they are doing well to last until 2002  ;)  ???  :(

Get those spanners/socket set out and away you go  ;)

Is it possible someone's got them wrong?

Oh yes - I betcha the red springs looked much nicer against the bodywork colour and chrome shiny bits  :blush:  :blush:  ;)  ;)  :)  :devil:

Taxi for Stant  :devil:  :xmas:  ;)

Build manuals say a lot of things, but never forget the propensity of builders / owners to a) ignore it and b) make changes at a later date !!

The colour of the springs is a little suspicious if they're original but don't rule out the possibility that someone has changed the spring rates because they wanted the car to handle in a particular way, in your case, constant oversteer by the sound of things !!

Only way to check what they are is to take them off and test them.  I'm sure others will be along with a guide as to what front and rear spring rates you might like to try.

Yeah it over-steers loads esp in the wet! I reckon i'll jack up one side tomorrow (today?!;) and pull the shocks off, clean them up and maybe even try them the other way round. Build manual mentions a part number for the fronts so i'll try to find it on one of the units. Forgot to say before that the back looks a bit low too so it's all a bit odd. btw its just a tuned crossflow and i couldnt see a stripe on the springs which makes sense.

Cheers.

Well i've done one side... the fronts were long and softer and the rears short but firm (oo-er). I put them back the other way round and it seems much better in all respects. Obviously not been out in it yet but I'll do the other side later today and try it tomorrow. I still can't believe they were on wrong! Thanks for the advice guys.

I am sure you didn't go too far or at speed during your test yesterday, but you really mustn't drive with non matching suspension across axles. Its not just handling, if you had been required to stop suddenly the braking could have doon all sorts of weird things.

Also - can anyone advise the usual range of spring rates front & rear. (SE) and at the static ride height, with the shock absorber half way up / down its travel, should the spring also be about half way along the adjusting thread ?

Yeah i didn't drive it til this morning with both sides done - it's stacks better now. I had to take it easy cos its chucking down outside at the mo but looks really promising.

:0

I`ve got factory issue spax but with blue springs at the rear  :0 and black at the front. My rear  :blush: doesnt move much either in fact front and back seem solid :(

Anyone recommend settings as a starting point for SEIW VX 2.0L 16v with standard spax dampers

Cheers

Start setting aside a few quid to get some Avo's

Not so fast there Stu - Springs am cheap - might be worth getting some others first (before buying some AVO's)  ;)

How many clicks have you got on your rear dampers - wind off anti-clockwise and set each at 2 or 3

Fronts should be slightly stiffer at 3 to 4 for road.

Try that for starters before spending money, then when it don't work

Give Andy at Cat Motorsport a call  ;)  :) for some springs first off, then some AVO's after  :D  ;)

Not so fast there Stu - Springs am cheap - might be worth getting some others first (before buying some AVO's)

:p Mark, are you on commission? :p  :devil:  :blush:  ;)

Six pack of Wife beater says it's shockers........

Springs first  :D  :)  then some new shocks  :D  :devil:  ;)

You can use shorter springs on the Spax dampers.  Only issue with short springs is making sure they're actually long enough to achieve the desired ride height (so you don't run out of thread on the damper) but provided you can do that then they're fine.

Only issue with short springs is making sure they're actually long enough to achieve the desired ride height (so you don't run out of thread on the damper)

Not forgetting to make sure that they stay seated on full droop, lest they unseat themsleves...............helper springs anyone?