where does the hole go ....

jonlewis

Got round to fitting the upper column today and realised that the hole in the bulkhead panel is not pre drilled. First of all amazed because everything else seems to be. Checked the manual and no mention at all. Checked some build diaries and they all seemed to be be already there.

Any ideas on dimension and distance from two edges of panel ?

Jon

Hi Jon

You seem to be a little bit behind me on the build.

In my case I drilled my panel a couple of weeks ago, got my bearings by plastering some Tippex on the end of the spline, held it in place to get a mark, drilled through with a pilot hole and drilled back from the bonnet side with a tank cutter.

Whilst scanning some of the build diaries I noted an aluminium spacer which is not mentioned in the manual, found this spacer in my pile of parts which obviously made the original position of the hole incorrect and I therefore had to enlarge it using a dremmel.

I'm fitting twin master cylinder brakes on my car and have now found that the top of the cylinder snags the universal joint on the steering column so I have now removed the ally spacer. I am going to check with the factory tomorrow what purpose this spacer serves.

Hope this helps.

Steve

The hole isn't predrilled, but it's not too difficult working out where to drill it.

The aluminium block goes as a spacer between the bottom column mount and the chassis bracket. This lowers the front end of the column, which therefore raises the steering wheel end a bit. I think the angle of upper and lower columns is critical for SVA purposes. I also added spacing washers to mine to get the steering wheel as high as I could to give me as much clearance as I could get for my legs.

Pic here.