Headlight adjustment

gregh

Managed to get the car out for a spin today  :D but noticed that the builders must have lent on the drivers side headlight as it points upwards  :angry:

Is it adjustable? It's the standard Westfield chrome light from 1999. It seems to have an allen key bolt on the top and 4 holes on the bottom.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

(I did search on headlight and adjustment but didn't come up with anything)

Is it adjustable?

Toooooooooo right - they bounce around like bouncy things - slacken off the fixing slightly and you can re-align - best to use some marks on the back of your garage door  ;)  :) from sighting up a tin-top with correctly adjusted lights.

Next time your at MOT have them aligned properly before test  :)  ;)  Then a week later, if not sooner they'll be out of alignment "slightly"  ;)  :)

Get a local garage to check and adjust them for you (£5.00 in the beer fund resolved mine!;) and then as soon as you get home make up a large right angled cardboard template the bottom of which just touches the front tyres at road level and the upright of which touches the front of the nose cone.

With the front wheels in the dead ahead position, mark the position of the tyre walls on the bottom part of the template. Then turn the lights on to dipped headlight and draw an elipse around the shape projected by noth lights onto the upright of the card. Then turn the headlamps to full beam and draw a similar ( smaller ) elipse around the bright centre portion.

As Mark says, they will surely go out of alignment but you now have a fold away accurate template specific to your car and your ride height for realigning them yourself in the future ( normally about a month later!! ).

My headlamp setting guage was a kiddies plastic bucket, (I found one thatsat snugly up to the lamp bezel), with a keyring lazer plasticined in to the bottom. This way before I swivelled the lights for nose cone removal, I would mark the lazer dot on the garage wall. Saves you having to position the car too accurately :p

Incidentally, does every one have to move one or more lamps to take of the nose?, I know it will depend on lamp dia, but with seven inch lamps I always had to shift one.

Brian.