Got the engine started...

Happy Christmas all,

So, today I finally attached a battery to my car and cranked the engine into life :D ( eventually! ). Couldn't believe it actually worked considering who build it and the fact that neither the carbs nor the ecu were touched.... ;)

Anyway, I'm running a '94 2.0l Zetec (~60k) and have a few questions:

1) How much oil should you use with a Dunnell sump? Build manual says 3.5l, run it, then add another 0.25l....except that's for a Westfield sump. Is this about right?

2) My oil pressure seens rather high - ~4.5bar. Is this likely to go down as I run the engine since I only ran it for a few mins before I had to switch off. (Will do a proper warm-up test tomorrow).

3) I know it's probably not set up correctly but it was backfiring (from both ends :0 ) occasionly. What is the likely cause of this or does it just need running for longer?

4) Are there any 'Idiots' guide to tuning Webers' around since I don't even know how to adjust the mixture? :(

Cheers,

- Dan.

Seasons greetings

2.  My cross flow runs at 4 Bar when cold.

3.  Poor carb, ignition set up.  See 4.

4. Check out Dave Andrews web site.  I havent looked, but if the weber tunning page is as good as the Dellorto then you should get it going better. There is no substitute for a rolling road. Dave Andrews home page

Happy reading

1. I put about 4.5l in mine with a Dunnell sump.

2. Oil pressure is fine it will drop a bit when warm. Down to 2bar at tick over.

3. Back firing at both end sounds like ignition timing to me. Be careful if the timing is to far out you will do damage.   (You have been warned)  

4. There is nothing wrong with learning how to fix something but if you do not even know at the moment how to adjust the mixture then do your self a favour and get it to a rolling road before something expensive happens.

Seconded on the carbs... Find someone local with good knowledge.  ISTR steppewolf posted a link to a rolling road list.  Most likely cause of the backfire will be unbalanced carbs.

With the Dunnell sump the dipstick should have been modified to be 10mm longer, or the tube 10mm shorter than standard.  If either's been done then fill to the middle of the two dipstick marks.  Else fill to 10mm less...

I also put approx 4.5l oil in mine, and hasn't blown up yet. Had my zetec set up on rolling road (PowerStation, Cheltenham). It constantly backfires, which ereryone has told me is normal. Scares the #### out of the horses in the Cotswolds, but them everyone knows I'm coming ???