Change bearings in Ford Sierra rear hubs

steve_m

Got a nice differential and drive shafts repainted so I ought to replace the bearings in the rear hubs too - is this an easy job ?  Never done this before, it it best left to a mechanic ?

Thanks, Steve

do you mean the lobro joints on the ends of the drive shafts steve or the bearings in the rear uprights? if you mean the lobro joints just replace them if they are worn! westfield are not bad on price! about £47 each with gaitors etc.

Thanks, I mean the wheel bearings in the hubs.  My drive shafts are the push in type and I hope they're OK without doing anything to them.

Steve

steve are you building a megabusa from a starter kit? if so then you should already have new wheel bearings fitted in your rear uprights as part of the kit ! the only other bearings in the rear end are the lobro joints (driveshaft ends) and the diff internals?any help?

Thanks Mark, I'm actually building a Dax Rush, with the round tube chassis, De Dion and camber compensation system.  Dax don't give you all the bits like Westfield appear to do.  

Spoke to a chap today who said I need a press to get the bearing in so I'll leave it to a local garage.

Thanks, Steve

f**king big socket and a bench vice might do it. I think thats the standatd way to get the metalastic bushes into the wishbones (or at least i hope it is).

Although, i suppose for such an important load bearing high speed bearing, its worth doing right!

Put the whole hub carrier in the oven for 20 mins at 150 degrees C (or until golden brown- no really!;).

You will then find the old bearing should just about drop out.

Let carrier cool for a while but get new bearing in with a big socket before you have lost all the expansion.

Trick is hot enough for it to fit but without boiling teh seals or lubricant in the new bearing.

Bish bash bosh, job's a good un' !

Thanks, that's an interesting idea !   :D   Not sure my gf would like her oven gloves covered in oil, there's enough of it in the kitchen already  :0

What I did in the end was take it to a Ford dealer, cheating I know but I thought that as I'd put new bearings and oil seals in the diff it would be a shame to mess with the hubs myself.  They're supplying the bearings for about £20 a side and fitting them for a box of chocolates !  

Thanks, Steve

just to add to megamolar's suggestion, if you put the bearings in the freezer overnight  in addtion to the hub carrier/upright in the oven/gas fire / woodburner you should find the bearings will drop into place without you having to get the sockets out onto the kitchen table....