Anyone rebodied an early car?

samcooke

I'm putting the body from my 92 SE onto the Pre-lit and havind a new body-kit from the factory at £880 inc for the SE. That includes ALL the plastics. I think that is reasonable. I think they do you a bit of a deal if you have the whole lot as the individual prices come out at about £1200. Having pulled the body off the Pre-lit I can tell you that it was a complete f****r to get it off without dammaging it as it was sealed with Sickaflex or similar, even if it was sealed with "normal" silicone you will have #### of a job to get if off without dammaging it (important if you are planning to sell it on to help pay for the new kit)

I drilled out all the rivits and un-did the other fixings (roll bar and rear valence) and tried to pull it off.......no joy it was stuck fast.

In the end I sharpend up a 6" length of old hacksaw blade, heated it up with a blow lamp (to ease the blades passage through the Sikaflex) and used it to cut between the chassis and the body, it took about 5 hours but the body came off without dammage.

The worse bit was the hoop that runs under the scuttle because the return on the body is thinner here and the chance of cracking the GRP is high if you rush or are ham-fisted.

Of coures you could be lucky and not have a car that has the body sealed on......

Yeah thanks for that Westy, looking forward to "dressing" XE and taking a few pictures.......naked engines with stonking big carbs and a sexy exhaust manifiold. OOOHHHHH makes me go weak at the knees!!!!!!!! The anticipation, the power!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Iam a new member (waiting for membership card or whatever back) I have just acquired a 1989 SE narrow body and intend to do a complete rebuild.  Having made enquiries of various spray shops it is much cheaper to buy complete new body from Westfield and replace aluminium panels at same time.  Approx total cost including powder coating chassis from a local supplier and the new body is £1050.  Anyone who can offer any advice or who is doing similar project I would be interested in hearing from you.

Dave Binder (07970 202958) Brighton area.  :xmas: