New Bremsport calipers

hilux

Looking for your advice please chaps :blush:

Have just bought some `Bremsport` 4 pot alu calipers (thanks Adrian) :love:

I would love to hear of any experiences any of you have had with theses calipers and the best pad/disc set up.

I understand that `green stuff` pads seem to be a very popular compromise for road and track on solid discs.

When ordering do I assume that the pads are  dimensioned for the standard `cortina` cast type caliper or is there a part number or pad specific to these new calipers.

Also I have seen threads where cross drilling discs has been done on a diy basis. I would like to do this for simple deglazing principles.

I would like to know if there are any recommendations for the size of hole/s, spacing etc etc or do you simply get a drill and hss bit and off you go. ???

I hope next year to do a few track days/sprints etc and simply want to feel that the brakes are up to the extra demands of a track etc

Thanks in advance    :xmas:

What a lot of Q's

Greenstuff pads may be fine for sprints and hills (well they are for me ;) ) but not necessarily for track days, there you will do far more hard braking for longer periods whereupon you may overheat your green pads - in which case a higher temp rating would be needed.

DIY Cross drilling of discs - certainly not a case of taking drill and going for it - a disc is a precision part, albeit a cheap mass produced one - and as such would require precision drilling - wrong place and layout of drilling could see a failure when being operated at high temperature in a track environment and possibly not a pleasant outcome.

Try your brakes and discs out first without drilling - if you feel something "extra" is required then seek out further advice - :xmas:  :)  ;)

I'd be talking to the Fluke boys about discs.....

Mark's right about the pads too. Greenstuff are OK for me too on the hills and sprints, but track days may well see them reduced to a pile of smouldering powder. Red stuff may be a better compromise, and I have heard from a couple of reliable sources that they are perfectly acceptable when used cold.

Can't help with part numbers for the pads though, but I'll bet there'll be some advice when they arrive. Adrian did say they were unused and still boxed, didn't he? ? ?.............

I've allways had Mintex CTech pads (1144) on my cars and been pleased with the results. They seem to be reasonably kind to the discs last well and most importantly give good "feel" with no fade. I have found that the way in which new pads are "bedded"  "conditioned" or "stabilised" has a major effect on the subsiquent performance of the pads. I usually do two or three very hard stops from high speed (100mph+) to get the brakes nice and hot and then spend 15 to 20 mins stopped at the side of the road to let them fully cool, IE the discs are "cool" to the touch. It would not be un-common for the discs to have a nice yellow tinge to them after this process ( I think the yellow or straw colour denotes a temp of about 350 degrees C) After this process the brakes have allways been up to scratch. You must bear in mind that the more worn the disc the longer the "bed in" period will be, new pads on new discs should require little bedding in, just because a pad is bedded in well, does not mean to say it will perform well as many other factors will determin the the overall performance of the pad.

Thanks for advice Guys :love:

Calipers are luverly :p

Interesting comments, I feel that best approach is to talk to suppliers re pads but anyone that cares to add their comments/experiences is appreciated cos its a lot of money on pads if they arent suitable :0

:xmas:

cos its a lot of money on pads if they arent suitable  

Having at least two sets of brake pads on hand one for sprints and one set for track days, which you can swap over is a small price to pay for "safety" and assurance that you will stop when required  ;)  :)  :D

Your car is worth thousands, you are worth far more and yet pads are merely pounds  ;)  :)  ;)

I 've got the bremsports 4 pots on my westie and have Hawk pads fitted, i've done loads of trackdays with them with no problems at all but they take a little warming up for road use

will try and get the part number for you