Carbs?

MarkJ

Hi all,

Have been offered 2 Weber 40's side-draught carbs with service kits, additional jets and chokes, and manual for fitting for £200. This sounds good to me, but thought I'd check it out with you. Is it a reasonable price?

Mark.

What engine? If it's for anything other than a mildly tuned x-flow, they'll be too small.............

Speaking of carbs, I'm getting some that were on a Zetec but will be going onto my X-flow.

Any issues I should be aware of? I've got a x-flow manifold.

Blatman,

They are going on a recon 1600cc Xflow with a fast road cam, which currently has the standard Ford down-draught carb fitted, so these should give it more kick? Still need manifold, and filters though.

Mark.

Mark J

Should be fine...........

Furtive.

You'll probably need smaller chokes (and I'm betting they're 45's....), and it WILL need re-jetting on a rolling road.

Rolling road goes for Mark J too, come to think of it............

Mark

You'll see a lovely big gain switching to 40s. Praps as much as 25bhp if jetted right - and that's the key - budget for another £60 or so for a rolling road session and a few quid for new jets just in case they don't come with the right size. Check the linkage is top mounted too cos if it isn't and won't fit you're looking at another £50 for a new one.

£200 is top of the tree money for carbs only with no filters and manifold, but it's up to you - just make sure you know they're good uns.

You won't regret swapping  :)

Paul,

Filters is something to consider - will you need to butcher the bonnet etc. If they are 45s (which most zetecs seem to run) is that not a bit too much for the crossy?