SVA

Glen_I

Can anyone offer any advice to bear in mind when it comes to sorting out the dash/clocks and switchs for the bl**** SVA. i have read through the SVA manual but if someone could give the low down in plain english it would be appreciated! thanks......

I have just passed the SVA and had to make some changes to my DIY dash - not one to pay £100 for something that cost about £5 and a couple of hours to make :arse:

Make sure that the bottom of the dash has a 19mm radius or is 5mm and padded.

Get all the switches, as close to the wheel as possible - there is an area round the wheel that is not required to meet the SVA impact, 2.5mm radius thingy – I used toggle switches and passed :t-up:

Make sure that you have a Brake light symbol (!;) on the brake light that comes on with the handbrake; this will be used as a bulb test.

Hope this helps

Neil

:t-up:

Thanks for that neil that seems to make sense, did you use the standard VDO westfield supplied gauges or did you find something else?  and for the switchs and the impact zone thingy if you hit something harder enough to make the switchs make contact with your hands than your in the s**t anyway. Oh well no way around it!

Cheers,   Glen.

I used Racetech guages, just standard white on black to match up with the speedo and rev clock that I picked up second hand, they look OK and the Speedo has a dial on the back to adjust the speed reading with - I just got it as close as I could using a GPS on route to the SVA centre.

Cheers

Neil  :cool:

Worth noting that so long as use the westfield speedo and show how you calculated the pulse as per the manual the tester will except this. I think some SVA test centres can't check speedo's so this may be important that you can provide proof, unless anybody knows different?

Thanks for that paul i will bear that in mind.   Can anyone tell me the area around the steering wheel which doesnt come in to SVA? And what is the criteria for rear view mirrors, i will be using a aeroscreen.....

Glen.

hey glen. not too sure on the radius around the steering wheel but the steering wheel itself has to be a certified one then the sva bandits carnt test anything directly behind the steering wheel for rounded edges. make sure it has the crashpad in the middle of the wheel also.

As to go with the mirrors my sva guy said that if the drivers side mirror and the central mirror get the marker post they use in sight then theleft had mirror doesnt need to be their.

better check though cos of ou aeroscreen. (phone the factory, they will no best)

Hope all this helps.

Cheers Pete

Glen

The Mirrors have to give a view of a white line the is

a. on the drives side 10m back and 2.5m wide

b. on near side 20 m back and 4 m wide

c. on the centre line 60m back and 10m either side.

You don't have to fit a interior mirror as long as the off side and nears side mirrors give the correct field of vission.  I found that the after market bike mirrors have flat lens and did not give a wide enough view. Try to buy mirrors with a convex lens.

I got a sheet with the details of the mirrors, lights and interior from my SVA centre in Manchester - go and talk to the people at your centre they should help you out.

HTH

Neil  :cool:

Thanks for that neil. are you keeping your standard steering wheel or binning it? if so let us know a price if you want to part with it...

Glen.

Glen  

I am keeping the wheel that I have for the time being - just need to sort the quick release out  ??? - Put a want ad up as there seems to be people that are willing to part with bits this time of year.

Good Luck

Neil   :cool: