Type 9 Gearbox

ntc

Folk seem to reach different conclusions over this. Some say that it is necessary to change/modify the propshaft, others have got away with it. The gearbox mounting plate may also have to be modified or moved. Not much help really..... ???

Hopefully this will get the ball rolling for you though :)

To put the 5sp box on you will need to modify the rear mounting plate as it is too far forward. The 5sp box is longer hence the need for a shorter prop and moving the rear mount. All i did was cut off the centre mount and then slid the engine & box in, bolt up the engine mounts then raise the back of the box up until it is level. It is usful to take off the top tunnel ally to see how it fits at the top and sides, then reattach the mount and have the prop shortened, kit car mags have a few companies who do this. Various ways of doing the job but my way needs only basic tools and basic skills to do it. Don't forget the speedo may be out when you put it back in. The big advantage is the crusing speed otherwise the four speed is fine. So if all this is for just one journey then is it worth it to you?

Also worth remembering the T9 has a much shorter 1st than the four speed boxes meaning annoyingly early upshifts when getting away and weighs about 90 lbs against 50 for the 4 speed so you'll be slowing the acceleration from rest somewhat.

When I did it (not on a westfield) I needed to change the prop for one off a five speed capri (I think) as it had a different number of splines and I also needed a 190mm clutch friction plate off a Sierra and a longer speedo cable. I then had to make up new mounts about 3 inches from the old ones and nibble out the transmisison tunnel to allow the lever to move fully. After that the car did crooze better but was much harder work around town cos of the extra changes needed and wasn't as quick off the lights. I wish I hadn't bothered.