Wheels and Colour

wrightster

Just wondering to respray part/all of a westie is it just a normal paint job from a body shop as i read " the colour is a pigment added to the GRP process " can the grp just be sprayed as normal ? and also is there any obvious problems (apart from money for tyres) with fitting 16/17inch wheels with cycle wings - it was actually Neil Hattons website which prompted me to ask these questiions (an excellent website) the wheels on his car (i think 15inch) seem to fit very snugly into the arches and look excellent - is this dependant on suspension set up ? TIA Again  :D  :D

Why oh why do you want to ruin the handling of your car by fitting 16" or 17" wheels ?!

As for respraying your car, you need to find someone who is clued up about spraying GRP - I think you have to be careful about which solvents and things are used, not to mention the preparation work which needs to be done properly if you want the car to look good.

Throw away those Max Power mags with all their adverts for BIG wheels - its not clever and not funny  :D  :devil:  :D  :durr:  ;)  :)  :blush:  :xmas:  :D

I appreciate that wheel size is purely personal preference, but why 16/17 inch? They are loads heavier as a rule, and cost much more.

17's have been fitted to a Westfield before, IMHO it looked like a roller skate! :0  :p  :devil:

On to the GRP. You are right in your description of the original process, the colour (gelcoat) is laid into the mould as the 'first coat' followed by the glass fibre itself, inpregnated by resin which glues it all together. Once the curing is complete, it is removed from the mould et voila!

Are you looking to repair holes cracks etc, or planning a complete colour change? Small repairs can be conducted by reversing the process described above, i.e. filling hole/crack etc with GRP, but not so that it is level with the surface, with a final layer of gelcoat on top, which will need to sit slightly proud of original surface. You then gently flat the repair back and polish in. Sounds easy, takes a lot of patience/practise.

If a change of colour is on the cards, IMHO you would probably be best to get new bodywork in your chosen colour (if its available) because a good respray is likely to cost you more money for a top job.

HTH Stu.

Personally wouldn't go above 15" wheels for the reasons mentioned i.e. extra weight & cost especially tyres. I have just gone from 15" to 13" (oh er missus :0  :p )

AO32r's(tyres :durr: ) for 13" wheels are about £70 for 15" you are talking £100+ god knows if they even do them in17" but you get the picture.

As for re-spray i think for a good job you are talking £1000+ so new bodywork would ork out very similar. So unless you want some thing outrageous  :devil:  :0  it may be better to go for new, you may even be able to off load your existing body etc.. on the Lowcost boys??

Andy :t-up:

P.S. if you want some 15" rims with NEW Yoko AVS sports 195/50R15's send us a message - See the one on the rear of my Avitar!!!!!!!!!.

personally I like my 16" wheels. Do they ruin the handling of the car ? - obviously  ;)

IMHO properly set up a nice big wheels with a thin profile will handle as well if not better than one with a smaller wheel and large profile when taking into accound side wall deformation characteristics and DRY handling.

they will however likely be heavier = more unsprung weight and more rotation inertia.

Mark, i am past max flower mags (my name isnt wrox !! - joke mr wrox) i just happen to think that the bigger wheels look better on a certain look of car (IMO) obviously cost is to be considered and if 15inchers look right on the car i buy then 15s it will be, i am starting to understand more and more why people build their own now - choice of colour, choice of spec etc etc  if only i had the time/money/skills !! anyway just have to hope i can find a nice car over the next couple of months - wish me luck !!  :D  :D

Good Luck  :p  :D  ;)  :)  :D

and a membership form can be found at www.wscc.co.uk  :devil:  :D  :)  :p

i think my 17" look the dogs's but that me but i think less wallo in the side wall due to being a 40% profile x 235

will try some smaller ones for racing next year as costing a fortune

jamie