SVA for 1987 Pre-Lit?

Steve R

Advice required please!

I have a 1987 Pre-Lit which has not yet been completed (contender for longest build ever?).  I had assumed that this vehicle would now be subject to an SVA test once finished.  However, my attention has been brought to a section in the front of my SVA manual stating that vehicles over 10 years old do not need to go through the test.

Does anyone have any experience of this?  I have asked the Vehicle Inspectorate and they say I still need to go through SVA (no explanation as to why) , even though the chassis plate and initial purchase receipt are dated 1987.  Is this correct, or are there other criteria to meet in order to get around the dreaded SVA?

Cheers,

Steve.

stating that vehicles over 10 years old do not need to go through the test.

My guess would be that this relates to imported cars which have already been registered somewhere else.

To all intents and purposes of the SVA, your car will be new when it's finished and that's probably why they want it to go through the test.

Blimey, after reading that it seems that going through SVA is actually the easier option!  (never thought the words 'SVA' and 'easy option' would appear in the same sentence!;) I have no proof of completion 10 years ago which may be a problem in my case....

Thanks for the info.

Steve.

Steve.

after reading that it seems that going through SVA is actually the easier option!

well dont go to southampton then and you would be eating your words after a 7.5 hour 1st test then a 4 hour just to argue the toss over wat it failed on and failed again then on to swansea for an appel and won three weeks later :)

jamie