Single axled trailer..

Graham.J

I'm looking to buy a trailer to tow the westi on to the SS meetings and a single axled jobby has turned up at a reasonable price.

Are they ok and do the job, or should I really be looking at a twin axled one?

Cheers

(p.s. I did do a search Blatters  :0  :p  ;)  :D )

Nowt wrong with a single axle trailer mate, I used one for years. A couple of things to bear in mind though....

Single axles tend to be less stable and more sensitive to where the weight is positioned on the trailer. Moving the car just a couple of inches forwards or backwards can make a big difference to how the towing combination drives. As a rule of thumb, the trailer when loaded wants to be 'nose heavy' (this applies to twins too).

Check that the trailer has suitable tyres fitted. Again, this also goes for twin axles, but less so. Tyres have a maximum load capacity rating, I have seen many single axle trailers with ordinary car tyres on, which is usually OK on a twin axle, but when there is only two wheels holding the weight of a car and trailer they can sometimes be overloaded. Not a big problem to overcome but worth checking.

Finally, whether twin or single, that it's actually going to be suitable for the westy. The angle/lengths of the ramps etc can make a big as to whether you can actually get your car on and off!

P.s. what will you be towing with?

HTH Stu.

Cheers Stu, will bear that in mind when going to view (it has a winch too :D ) and comes with ramps. :0

I'm not entirely sure what I'll be towing with, it will be either my dads Mercedes 230TE Estate, or a VW Passat Estate (if it's still for sale), basically it'll be an estate car, about 2.0L.

Cheers

P.S. It's 14' x 5', it think, I'm pretty sure on the length being 14' though.

Twin axle is better if you can find one at the right price but singles are o.k just get a bit twitchy at times  ;)

I've had both and find the single axle as good as the twin but for different reasons.

A twin axle can give an unusual loading moment on the tow car as the trailer swings from the radius of one axle to the radius of the other and IMHO this can be felt in the car. The single axle can only rotate about the one axle although the ulimate load / unload rates on the tow car can in theory be higher.

Both need to be loaded evenly/ correctly / with sympathy to the tow car, single axle more so.

Less drag maybe with a single axle, certainly when turning .

If the single axle will carry the weight and the tow car is rated for towing this combination then I would use one anytime.