VERY CONFUSED!!!!!

Graham.J

Just browsing the Surrey website and saw PeterG's car there, thought I'd have a read.

The first photo on the page is this. (hope you don't mind Peter)

pg1.jpg

So what you may say, but this is a SEiW chassis and the windscreen, scuttle and bonnet look exactly same as mine (except the bonnet scoop and the fact I don't havea windscreen anymore), and I thought mine was an SE Narrow Body.

Here's a reversed image of mine for ease of comparing as it's roughly the same angle. (notice the scuttle dosn't fit flush with the tub)

20021211256558726212255.jpg

I hope that mine isn't a widebody as i've just bought a roll bar for a narrow body, but we shall see when it arrives, if the scuttle is widebody and the rest narrow, that would be ideal as finding a new windscreen would be much easier and the roll bar would fit.

BAH HUMBUG

Just had a quick browse though your website. Lookin' good...

If yours is an 89 SE, then AFAIK it is a narrow body. I could be wrong though.......

P.s. the rear arches on your car look massive compared to mine (also an 89 SE). Have they been modified?

Cheers Stu,

AFAIK I don't think the arches have been modded as they aren't seperate so I'm not sure.

I really am baffled on this one, the only thing that would tell me is if the Roll Bar fits then it's a narrow body, and if I can meet up with peterg and measure his scuttle and it's the same, then I have a hybrid westfield, a rarety, selling on for £10,000 - £15,000  :0  ;)  :p  :D  :cool:

Ho hum, the great unknown...

It's hard to tell from the pictures on your web-site (too small) but if you can post some of the pictures of the cockpit area (in particular the area where your elbows go) then it may be possible to tell from them whether you have a wide or narrow chassis.  

For what it's worth, my money's currently on narrow, just with a scuttle fitted maybe a tiny bit too far back and not squeezed in enough at the back edge to line up with the bodywork.

Right, just been outside and measured the car (bl**** #### it's cold-suppose I should've changed out of me jimjams first  :p )

anyway, from the top edge of the scuttle (the curved edge surround) to the rear bulkhead chassis rail it's 38in and across the cockpit where the dashboard 'hoop' meets the side chassis rail (the bit where you rest your elbow) it's 39.5in

measurements slightly approx as it's cold and the neighbours are looking so I didn't want to stay out there too long  :blush:

Easy way to tell if it's a narrow body. If you're a small human being and fit snugly in to the car - it's a narrow. If you're a large human being and can't fit in - then it's narrow.

Don't forget that a narrow is also shorter.

Cheers everyone, it is a narrow body, as my roll bar came today and it fits, thank god for that.

Anyway thank you for your help, if i'd known a wide body was longer i'd have got one of them 'cos i'm quite lanky.

Oh well, we learn from our mistakes.

PS: Is the roll bar ok simon?

Narrow body cars measure 15.5" from the inside of the outer chassis rails in the cockpit area to the inside of the transmission tunnel edge. They also measure 38" across the bottom om the scuttle below the dash.

John

ALL wide body cars have either detachable arches, or cut outs in the rear tub for the rear lights to nestle into.

Look more carefully at the photos too, 'cos the other difference is obvious (to me at least). Peter G's car has narrower looking arches than Graham's. Well, they don't just look narrower.............that's how Westfield found some of the extra width..............

PS: Is the roll bar ok simon?

Thanks Graham, yes it's fine

It's of a smaller Diameter tubing than the current one so I am wondering if my old one is stronger (anyone?) but who needs more cranial roll over protection when I can have shiny chrome  :cool:

My car's got SE

They all have both wide body and narrow body  ;)  :D  :)