rac roll bar

peterpeter

Getting an Rac roll bar for my westy... How easy a job is one to fit ???

Do you need to remove any panels (whta panels??)to get to the fixing points /drill new holes ????

Should I get a professional to fit one???

Fitting the bar itself is a doddle, but sorting out the required slots in the boot box is a bit of a b*******. I cut a small hole then ran a piece of string where the strut was going to go and gradually enlarged.

Depending on your seatbelt arrangement you may have another little challenge too - the diagonal brace in the main bar sits very close over the nearside passenger harness mount and on mine I needed to shorten the spacer and eyebolt.

Unbolt you old one first  ;)  and remove boot box or cover.

Then bolt in your new RAC one  ;)

Then bolt in struts, if you have the detachable ones  ;)  :)

it is very easy  ;)  :D

I have just discovered that the fuel tank needs to come out to get the bottom bolts through the brackets for the stays.  Nevermind it needs to be out for removing the rear wishbones anyway.

Hmm, not easy enough for anyone to tell me then???  ???

Sorry furtive - I thought you were takeing the p**s!

The main bar fastens on via 3 bolts through each fixing plate, my chassis was predrilled for these, but yours of course may well not be.

The stays - rose joint and lock nut each end, you'll have 2 short bolts, 2 long bolts, 2 thin steel bushes and 2 'castle' type spacer/bushes.

The short bolts and thin bushes go at the top end of the struts, the long bolts and castle spacers at the bottom.

The bolts at the bottom will go in without removing the tank, and for me at any rate the bolts didn't quite reach the tank, although they're within a few mm. I needed to use washers inside the brackets at the top to space it out (i.e. between rose joint and bracket).

In my case I had problems with the nearside harness eyebolt which caused bad language and wore out a couple of cutting disks for my Black and Decker 'Wizard'. See build site for more info and pics ...

I have just discovered that the fuel tank needs to come out to get the bottom bolts through the brackets for the stays.  Nevermind it needs to be out for removing the rear wishbones anyway.

Mine didn't, I just had room to push the bolt in from the outside towards the tank, and fit the washer and nut between bracket and tank. The end of the bolts came close to the tank but were a few mm away. I'm presuming your chassis and tank are the same as mine ...